Internet options - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2023, 12:07 PM   #1

Virginia
Internet options

Mornin everyone, I've been looking into internet options for the travel trailer. I work out of mine and will need something for zoom type of calls and also for streaming. I know that it all depends on location but I'm mainly going to be in the Southern Maryland below DC. Calyx Institute caught my eye and wanted to see if anyone on here has a review that they could share. They use TMobile and I'm right near one of thier towers. Thanks

Mark

Mark B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:57 PM   #2

Wyoming
My opinion, based on over 7 years of full-time RVing, and talking with others who did remote work from their rigs… take it for what it’s worth:

You will NOT be satisfied doing what you want to do using cellular data. You may have connectivity & coverage… but you will have dropout & data loss.

And if relying on campground WiFi… forget it.

Streaming… not happening… ever… well, at least not in high-def.

There are only 2 ways that you will have satisfaction. The first is if you are at a campground or RV park that has a contract with the local internet provider that allows you lease a dedicated modem for your site/rig. Some of the higher end RV resorts have this, but your average campground will not.

The other is to install an expensive internet satellite dish on your rig, and pay outrageous fees for the service. During my travels, I met 2 guys that had this… and they were the only ones I ever met who were completely satisfied. One was a travel journalist, the other was in the financial field… and both were able to write off the high service costs as business expenses.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #3

Montana
Starlink offers a service designed for RV users. I use Starlink for home internet and do not have any experience or input about how well their RV service works. But my home internet is fast and reliable. I work full time remotely from home.
The Starlink RV service would work similar to how HTC describes for satellite. You need a Starlink dish which must have unobstructed view of northern sky. Initially this meant that it only works while stationary and setup, but I think they have a next gen dish or mobile-specific dish to address this now. The dish connects to your Starlink modem/router which provides wifi access to internet to the devices you connect to it.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:39 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Starlink offers a service designed for RV users...
Yeah, you got me there. I forgot about the new Starlink RV service. All of my comments above were before that was an option, which may be less expensive.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:16 PM   #5

Washington
We use OTR mobile with the Titan multi and 5G HotSpot unit. It is fantastic. We get 300GB of data/month for $99. The device provides a private WiFi network and is capable of seeing the 3 big cellular providers and is fast enough for me to run zoom meetings and stream video. The ONLY limitation is total bandwidth allowance/mo. When it’s gone, it’s gone. It will run at slower speeds until next month allowance. Check with them as I think they offer higher data plans but we’ve never needed them. And we full time work remotely.
I hear good things about Starlink but since it’s satellite, you are still prone to challenges due to tree cover, rain and snow fade, etc.
Good luck!
The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:23 AM   #6

Colorado
So I’m really green at camping. I have cellular service and add my T-Mobile internet it’s plugs in to my travel trailer and allows me to take it inside my car while traveling as well. I like it because it’s portable. I have a regular plug inside my SUV. When I’m finished, I can also move it back inside the travel trailer, if I want. Because of the range I can leave it in any space to still use. So far it works and I seen other T-Mobile user while traveling doing the same thing. In addition, I purchased a used Travel Trailer and the previous owners attached an Winegard360 so no matter where I am we have regular tv channels along side our chrome plug in. So we’re never without any entertainment. If there are other options, please let me know. Thanks!
David & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #7

Florida
starlink for internet!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote