Identifying a switch on my new RV - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #1

Florida
Identifying a switch on my new RV

I have mostly identified what the various switches and gauges are and do on my "new" motorhome, a 2003 Dutchmen Express 21. Though I have a manual, it doesn't help me with one particular switch.

The switch is one of a cluster of three switches on the left of the center aisle, amidships. (The other two are: the gas furnace on/off; and the generator on/off.) The switch I need help on is a simple on/off switch with a telltale red light to show when it's on.

These are among the things the switch does NOT control: refrigerator on/off or power source; water pump; 12volt power on/off; cabin lights; air conditioner; the invertor/convertor; outside lights; the warning buzzers for gas, etc.; or anything that connects the house battery to the vehicle battery. But, then, I can be wrong!

I have a Four Winds manual that just does not address this.

I will add a picture of this panel as soon as I learn how. The mystery switch is the one on the left.

Thank you.

mayfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #2

Florida
Picture

The mystery switch is the one on the left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130805 Switches LHS.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	597  

Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #3

Nevada
Looks like the former owner put it in him self. MHO might be Electric element for the water heater
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Florida
Yes, maybe

Thank you, Eightydo. I think you may be right. The switch does not work on just internal 12v. It does work when the generator is operating suggesting that it operates something that requires 110v.

I still need to verify more directly, but thanks for the pointer.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Wyoming
My guess was the electric hot water element. The previous owner probably added it to bypass the external one on the tank outside. The light would indicate that the tank is on electric.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #6

Florida
Thanks!

Thanks, Wanderer. I think you and Eightydo are right. Next time I am on external power or using the generator, and have water in the tank , I will see if this switch warms the water.

It will be a relief to know what this switch does, because I was scared I might fry something so I left it off. The gas heats the water fine, by the way.

Tags
electrical, express 21, switch