Ideas to carry bikes and generator? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Indiana
Ideas to carry bikes and generator?

So I am looking for examples of how ya’ll carry your generators, bikes and spare tire?

I have been reading about not mounting anything to the back bumper. I was thinking about welding/bolting something up under the rear trailer frame to mount a cargo tray, bike rack and spare tire holder.......but I wanted to see what others have done.

My tow vehicle is a van, so I can’t put stuff in the bed like a truck. Once the generator has been used I don’t want it in the trailer of van due to gas odor.

I would be hauling 4 to 5 mountain bikes so it would need to be a decent size bike rack option. For this past weekend I put 4 in the van, but that wouldn’t work for a permanent or long haul option.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
You need to be very careful about putting things on the rear of trailers. Weight back there has a leverage issue and can make things come apart due to the bouncing. One thing to do with a generator is to convert it to run on LP, that eliminates the gas mess. Another, if it is small enough is a large plastic tub with an snap on top. With your van you could probably add a front hitch to it and put the bikes on it. We used to do that with our pickup camper truck. The front hitch also came in handy for snaking trailers in and out of tight spots. I have a buddy that has a cargo rack on the front of his truck where fishing poles, coolers and his small generator ride, when he is towing his camper.

Given the age of your trailer you may have a heavier frame than some of the newer stuff. Some weight, like a few bikes may not be a major issue.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #3

Florida
I use 4 square from Mount-N-Lock and have the bumper struts also.

https://mount-n-lock.com/
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I use 4 square from Mount-N-Lock and have the bumper struts also.

https://mount-n-lock.com/

Did this require you to re-enforce the bumper somehow ? I have read where people have had their bumpers tear off from mounting carriers on them.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #5

Colorado
I would stay away from the bumper. I had a local welder put together a whole new system for me. He Welded a beam in from one side of the camper frame across to the other then a 2" receiver back off of that. He welded that to the bottom of the bumper just to reduce any chance of bouncing/movement. Because their was no wiring involved I believe it was only about $250 welded and painted.
I had a basket on it for years carrying a Honda EU3000 and firewood. I got sick of moving that heavy generator and downsized to a 2000, got rid of the basket and now have a Kuat NV 2.0 with a 2 bike add on (4 bikes total) on the back. We've towed from Colorado to Canada and even down to Florida. No issues. In hindsight I think I should have gone with a Northshore NSR-6bike (we have a lot of bikes as well). I got to check one out a while back and as well as having more capacity I think they are built even beefier.
Anyway, you can't do both back there so I'd do the basket on the back and then something like this that goes over the propane on the front.
https://www.racksforcars.com/Arvika/
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #6

Wyoming
I was also gonna suggest a front-receiver with a rack, until I saw 4-to-5 bikes... and a generator... and a spare... Gonna end up lookin like Jed Clampet rollin down the road.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but sounds to me as if you need a toy hauler, or a different tow vehicle.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I was also gonna suggest a front-receiver with a rack, until I saw 4-to-5 bikes... and a generator... and a spare...

Not trying to be sarcastic, but sounds to me as if you need a toy hauler, or a different tow vehicle.

Maybe......lol.

I am pretty sure I have a place I can store the spare tire. Just figured it would be better if it was on the outside of the trailer.

I was looking at one of the A frame/tongue cargo carriers. That could work for a generator. My only concern with this is that I added a 2nd battery already and I am wondering if I need to worry about too much tongue weight.

As far as the bikes they could always go inside the trailer while traveling, but it would be nice to not have to load and unload them whenever we stop.

A different tow vehicle really isn’t an option. If we all go there are 5 of us and a dog. The e250 van gives a lot more room for longer road trips. A truck just wouldn’t cut it.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

Colorado
The other option although not convenient is a roof rack (Yakima, Thule, etc) on top of the van for the bikes. You could easily get them all up there. They would be out of the way and completely safe up there. Personally I'd do fork mount trays if putting them up there to reduce height but then of course you have all those front wheels to deal with!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Did this require you to re-enforce the bumper somehow ? I have read where people have had their bumpers tear off from mounting carriers on them.

I used the safety struts, they tie the bumper directly to the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-...70_&dpSrc=srch

If you like, they also offer a sturdier bumper.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

Florida
I don't need to worry about a weight imbalance since the bedroom and clothes closet are in the very front. the extra weight there balances the stuff I put on the back.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Indiana
Quote:
I don't need to worry about a weight imbalance since the bedroom and clothes closet are in the very front. the extra weight there balances the stuff I put on the back.

I have been looking into the Mount n Lock products. They look great, but I am always skeptical about stuff that looks too good.

I will have to think on it a bit and do some online research on them.

Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
I have been looking into the Mount n Lock products. They look great, but I am always skeptical about stuff that looks too good.

I will have to think on it a bit and do some online research on them.

Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

I have been using them for two years now. I am WELL PLEASED. I have a storage chest back there and a 2kw generator.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #13

Indiana
Quote:
I have been using them for two years now. I am WELL PLEASED. I have a storage chest back there and a 2kw generator.

How many miles have you put on in those 2 years? Any signs of wear on the bumper mounts etc?

I am thinking of getting the the re-enforcement brackets and a couple of the 2” receivers. I already a cargo carrier and found a deal on a good 5 bike hitch mounted rack. I can fit the spare pretty easily in one of the storage areas.

I added an extra battery to the tongue and my fresh water tank sits in front of the axles, so that would add tongue weight to offset the racks in the rear.

Thinking I am gonna go with an EasyStart for the AC and a smaller generator just to make it easier to move around.......probably save some $$ too.

Always work to do!

Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #14

Florida
Quote:
How many miles have you put on in those 2 years? Any signs of wear on the bumper mounts etc?

I am thinking of getting the the re-enforcement brackets and a couple of the 2” receivers. I already a cargo carrier and found a deal on a good 5 bike hitch mounted rack. I can fit the spare pretty easily in one of the storage areas.

I added an extra battery to the tongue and my fresh water tank sits in front of the axles, so that would add tongue weight to offset the racks in the rear.

Thinking I am gonna go with an EasyStart for the AC and a smaller generator just to make it easier to move around.......probably save some $$ too.

Always work to do!

Couple thousand.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:41 AM   #15

Oregon
You could go with a Tongue box for a small generator or to hold your batteries. I was able to put four batteries in this box plus I made a shelf to store extra electrical cords and water hoses.

For the spare tire I would get the BAL tire carrier. I have one of these and it works great and not that expensive.
Hide-A-Spare, 70" I-beam Underslung Mount - BAL 28218 - Tire Accessories - Camping World

For the bikes I would look at Lippert products. They make your trailer frame and axles and lots more. They designed a drop down rack that does not use the bumper for support.
https://www.lci1.com/lci-storage-systems
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #16

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
You could go with a Tongue box for a small generator or to hold your batteries. I was able to put four batteries in this box plus I made a shelf to store extra electrical cords and water hoses.

For the spare tire I would get the BAL tire carrier. I have one of these and it works great and not that expensive.
Hide-A-Spare, 70" I-beam Underslung Mount - BAL 28218 - Tire Accessories - Camping World

For the bikes I would look at Lippert products. They make your trailer frame and axles and lots more. They designed a drop down rack that does not use the bumper for support.
https://www.lci1.com/lci-storage-systems

I like the spare tire holder you linked. Inexpensive and it would keep me from losing any storage space.

The front box is a neat idea. I would need something like that if I was going to add any more to my battery bank. Plus the extra storage is always nice.

I had seen the type of bike racks you mentioned. There are a few that mount to the tongue. They also have tongue mounted cargo trays. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any bike racks that would carry 5.

There are also going to be times when I will be driving with my fresh water tank full. With it’s location in front of the axles it would increase my tongue weight a bit. So did the extra battery I added. I really need to load everything up and hit a CAT scale to see if my concerns are real or just a figment of my imagination.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Jeremy

Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
You could go with a Tongue box for a small generator or to hold your batteries.
Any idea what your tongue weight is?

Old 03-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #18

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Any idea what your tongue weight is?

Trailer weight is in the 5600-6500lbs. So with 10-15% the tongue should be in the 600-700lbs range.

I need to hit the scales so I can look at real numbers instead or trying to guess.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
Trailer weight is in the 5600-6500lbs. So with 10-15% the tongue should be in the 600-700lbs range.

I need to hit the scales so I can look at real numbers instead or trying to guess.

I was asking 1/234 with all those batteries on the tongue.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #20

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I was asking 1/234 with all those batteries on the tongue.

I realized that after I answered......[emoji3]