Help me please. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #1

Kentucky
Help me please.

93 Dutchman E350 chassis. Where would my circuit breaker be? I am so very new to this. I just bought the RV a few days ago. I fired up the generator and it runs but I can't the air to turn on or the fridge to power on. Also some of the plugs do not work. I'd really appreciate any help. I'm as green to this as green can be. Having said that, I'm so excited to start this new chapter in my life. I'll be hitting the road soon. Thanks in advance and Peace to you and yours.

jmack108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #2

Florida
Check the breakers on the generator they should be on position

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #3

Florida
Your breaker should be located on generator. all our best central fla
Old 07-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

California
Also, there could be a fuse in a fuse holder on wires running from the generator. A couple years back my fuse had blown and I had no idea it was there. The breakers on the generator didn’t trip and it ran fine but no power.

I replaced the fuse and it hasn’t happened since.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Florida
I would check your transfer switch to see what exactly is being transferred from the generator. Generally, if your RV is 50 amp, it uses two 120 volt circuits to feed the RV. Use a volt meter to check to make sure you have both circuits live.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

Wisconsin
"I can't the air to turn on or the fridge to power on. Also some of the plugs do not work."

Assumptions:
These things work when plugged into shore power. They do not work when shore power is disconnected and generator is running.
You said "some plugs do not work" so, some other plugs do work.
You have a 50 amp 240 volt shore power system not a 30 amp 120 volt system.
You have a built in generator and the system switches between shore power and the generator by itself.
Your frig is an absorption type that works on 120 volts and on propane. It is not a compressor type that only works on 120 volt AC.

Good advice above. Look for circuit breakers and fuses on or near the generator. However, since somethings work using the generator, I expect the issue is somewhere else.

A 50 amp 240 volt shore power system divides the RV loads into two 120 volt blocks of circuits and provides power to each 120 volt block separately. The generator must manage the two blocks as well.

Some generators provide power to only one block of loads. It may not provide power to the second block. I expect the generator would be wired to supply the air conditioner. Yours is not supplying the A/C, so this case probably does not apply.

Some generators provide the same source of power to both blocks of loads. Yours may be supplying one block and something is interfering with the other.

The automatic transfer switch may be the problem. Loose connections may do this, or the switch may be defective.

There other possibilities.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #7

Wyoming
Guys, just a thought for those offering 50 amp advice…

He said the rig is an old 1993 model. I have no direct knowledge, but… I didn’t think 50 amp service was common back then.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:27 AM   #8

Kentucky
Thanks for the Help!

We have power and air! It was simple and it was just because I am so new to this that I didn't know. The folks I bought the RV from the last time they used it they used shore power. When they finished camping they did not plug the generator back in at the shore power box. I found this by watching a few videos and also reading RV forums. What a wealth of information for someone like me. I'm so happy everything works. Yes, she even blows cold air. My next project is the gen is surging. The RV set for a few years. I suspect the jets my possibly be jelled up or something. I found a neat way to fix this problem and will be tackling that tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes if you care to know. Once again, Thank you, I truly appreciate the help and appreciate you being here to help us newbies. Happy Trails!
Old 07-10-2021, 04:10 AM   #9

Florida
Thank you very much for posting what
The fix was for future reference
not everybody does.
All our best FLA
Old 07-10-2021, 04:55 AM   #10

Kentucky
Thank you. All the best to you as well.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:07 AM   #11

Washington
I have a 1996 Dutchman on the E350 chassis. Seems you solved the problem of no power from the generator.
I believe that your generator is the Emerald Plus, if so there is an adjustment on the carburetor for altitude. If you are at sea level and the carb is set for 4,000' the generator will run rough. Some of your plugs could be GFI and could be tripped.

Richard

Beachfishing is offline   Reply With Quote