Generators - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

Arkansas
Generators

First I want to thank all for their help in locating a short.

I have a 35' classic toy hauler, 30 amp that is pre-wired for a generator. Has anyone put a generator in and if so what size and type.

Does not look like a lot of space. Has the metal bottom that has a cutout setup and screen on cargo the door that can be opened up.

I have a 4000K Onan in my Avion but it is too big so I am sure that brand will not work.

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #2

Ohio
adding a generator is never easy

There are a lot of variables when adding a generator to a toy hauler. But here are a couple of ideas to get you started.
1) Does your th have 30A or 50A service? You can usually tell by how many air conditioners you have. If you have more than one, then you probably have 50A service. You can also tell by looking at your shore power connector, or even the trailer specs (who can ever find those?)
2) A 50A service requires a split phase generator. Unless you want to do some electrical modifications, like I did. I'm an electrical engineer and don't recommend you do this unless you are qualified. If you have a 30A service, just go buy a nice 3000W generator and you are good to go.
3) Toy haulers often have a fueling station and maybe fuel lines to the generator box. If yours does, you can pull fuel from the fueling station for the generator. If not, it's probably easier to simple fill the generator manually from a gas can.

I have a lot of other ideas how to setup a toy hauler for optimum power. I've designed and installed lots of systems, so let me know if you want more advice.

Leisure Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #3

Ohio
30A service

Oops, I just re-read your post and you say you have 30A service. That makes it easier.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Arkansas
Sorry that I did not detail a little more.

It is a 30 amp. No fuel station. It is pre wired for a gen. My problem is size. I have a 4000 KW in my Avion and it will not fit the space in my Dutchman.

I was thinking about a champion or similar generator. I think I need something with a starting watt of 6000/7000. I was also hoping that someone did install a generator in the small space and could tell me what type they bused.

I know the Champion types will fit but not sure if I should mount in front space of RV where electrical hookup is or carry in back of truck with a plug hookup. The front location has no box and is open to the side storage areas. In the front where to setup is there is a small location with setup to cut out the a bottom section that would then be open to the road and a panel on the storage door to remove for air circulation. Know hard to help when all you get is a description. Hope this helps.

Not being an electrician I wanted to get ideas.

Thank you for the response and all advice, suggestions are welcome.

Bill
Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Perhaps check with Dutchmen and find out which one they designed it for?

From your description of the space a small Onan is probably what is supposed to go in. They pull fresh air from the longer side and exhaust hot air out the bottom. My motor home uses the QG 4000. Check the Onan page for the sizes. You may only have room for the 2800 watt.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

Ohio
champion gennys are pretty good

I've had experience with two different Champion gennys and had good luck with both. Your 15000 BTU A/C will be your worst load, and I usually can start them with a 4KW overload, so a 3000W is probably big enough. I have also added a "soft start" to the A/C so a smaller genny can start the A/C. One problem with mounting the genny in your front cabinet is that the genny really should be isolated, both mechanically and air flow from the rest of the trailer. Technically, there cannot be any air exchange between the genny cabinet and the rest of the coach. Then there is the issue of maintenance. You need to be able to fill and drain the gas, change the oil and air filter. Do you really want to be spilling gas in your front cabinet? Some people prefer to put the genny in the back of the truck for these reasons, plus it is much quieter (for you, not your neighbors).

When you say pre-wired, does that include a transfer switch? You cannot have a genny hardwired to your shore power plug, that would be a disaster.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #7

Arkansas
Dutchman was purchased some time ago and the new company has no information on my year. They told me about this forum.

Your suggestions have answered my question and I know what to do.

Thanks all,
Bill
Old 01-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
Dutchman was purchased some time ago and the new company has no information on my year. They told me about this forum.

Your suggestions have answered my question and I know what to do.

Thanks all,
Bill
What year is your trailer? That might help put things in perspective. Thor bought Dutchmen 1991, if they are referring to the Keystone takeover of Dutchmen in 2014 they are full of it if they are claiming that they don't have the documentation. Or maybe they don't, they don't seem to have much documentation when it comes to slapping the things together, when it comes to wiring and plumbing diagrams.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #9

Arkansas
It's a 2003. I have the manual with it but it's the worse manual I ever saw.

With everyone's help, I believe I know what to do now.

Again, thanks to all
Bill
Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Solar View Post
I've had experience with two different Champion gennys and had good luck with both. Your 15000 BTU A/C will be your worst load, and I usually can start them with a 4KW overload, so a 3000W is probably big enough. I have also added a "soft start" to the A/C so a smaller genny can start the A/C. One problem with mounting the genny in your front cabinet is that the genny really should be isolated, both mechanically and air flow from the rest of the trailer. Technically, there cannot be any air exchange between the genny cabinet and the rest of the coach. Then there is the issue of maintenance. You need to be able to fill and drain the gas, change the oil and air filter. Do you really want to be spilling gas in your front cabinet? Some people prefer to put the genny in the back of the truck for these reasons, plus it is much quieter (for you, not your neighbors).

When you say pre-wired, does that include a transfer switch? You cannot have a genny hardwired to your shore power plug, that would be a disaster.

Hope this is helpful.

How did you add a soft start to your ac ? was it to the fan motor or to the compressor? Or both? I have NO idea why they don't come with them. I'm looking for a replacement AC and the specs on these things are terrible.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
How did you add a soft start to your ac ? was it to the fan motor or to the compressor? Or both? I have NO idea why they don't come with them. I'm looking for a replacement AC and the specs on these things are terrible.

MicroAir makes a very nice product called Easy Start. It's wired directly into your AC unit on the roof. They have wiring diagrams for just about every AC unit for RVs. They have a video on line showing what it does and how to install...

What it does is "learns" how your AC units runs by you starting the system 5 times. After that, it knows how your AC works and will start it softly with far less current draw. The point being here, is you can use a smaller generator to start and run your AC unit. You still have to figure out how much stuff you are going to have turned on in your RV at the same time to figure out how big a generator you will need, but, the Easy Start box makes a huge difference in how much current the AC uses on startup.

BTW, most people I've talked to have done this themselves....

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

PS. No, I'm not affiliated with them. I just got mine and can't wait to get time to install it!! I'll be running my Advent 13.5 AC on a Honda 2200. Very small and portable.

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote