Fuse keeps blowing when on shore power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #1

Oregon
Question Fuse keeps blowing when on shore power

I've got a 1994 Dutchmen Classic 2200 5th wheel. I'm hooked up to shore power, and didn't have anything drawing heavy power on. Just lights & a laptop and dehumidifier plugged into a couple different outlets.

I'll start out by saying that a few days ago the porch light bulb needed to be replaced. No problem, but I did notice the plastic housing above the light fixture showed signs of melting. I've only had the 5th wheel for a short while and didn't notice if it was that way before or not, but when I replaced the bulb it worked fine & didn't show any signs of overheating when I checked it a few times.

Fast forward to a few days later when I lost the light over the sink, the fan/light over the stove, & the light over the sofa, in addition to the porch light.

No circuit breakers tripped. Bulbs look ok.I checked the battery for signs of corrosion and saw none, and the connections look good. Not being electrically savvy, I thought it may be a fuse, so identified which fuse should run those lights if NOT on shore power. I replaced the fuse, noting that it gave a teeny tiny spark when inserting it. When I'd replace the fuse & try just one light, it would glow dimly for a split second & blow the fuse. Thought it might be a bad fuse, so did it again with the same result.

Any electrically savvy folks out there that might be able to assist?

dutchmenclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #2

Montana
If I understand you correctly, the porch light fixture showed signs of melting, and when the lights went out, that included the porch light.

I'd start by removing the porch light fixture, and separate the two wires that feed it. Inspect the two wires, making sure that the insulation hasn't burned and exposed bare wire. With the porch light wires still separated, put in a new fuse and see if everything else on that circuit works.

If everything works, you need a new light fixture. If things still don't work, I'd unplug the main power line, pull out the fuse/breaker box, and undo the set screw and wire for that circuit. Next you have to take out all the light bulbs on that circuit.

Then put an ohm meter on the wire to see if you have connectivity to ground. If you do, then you have a grounded wire that needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

Oregon
Wow - much more of an intelligent & knowledgeable answer than I was expecting! Thanks, Vern. I checked the porch light as you suggested and that was ok, but I did notice when checking again that it was the same light over the sink (same one that glowed dimly before the fuses would blow when I replaced it) that glowed. So before I did your next suggested step (which sounded a little scary), I did the same thing you suggested for the porch light to that light - disconnect wires, insert new fuse - voila! All the other lights work now, so I'll just be ordering a new light for over the sink.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.
dutchmenclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

Wyoming
Glad Vern was able to sort that out for you!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #5

Montana
Good! Glad that helped.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blow, blowing, fuse, shore power