Furrion TV -- How to run on 12 volt? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

California
Furrion TV -- How to run on 12 volt?

Greetings,
I recently purchased a Coleman (made by Dutchmen). It has a Furrion media system in it. So I ordered a Furrion 19" tv so it is compatible. But the tv came with a 110 plug in to dumb down to 12 volt.
I want to dry camp without hookup. My tv manual does not say how to power tv on 12 volts.
Any ideas?
There is a USB port on my Furrion media unit in the wall. Run the TV off of that?
Thanks folks!

JonMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMulder View Post
Greetings,
I recently purchased a Coleman (made by Dutchmen). It has a Furrion media system in it. So I ordered a Furrion 19" tv so it is compatible. But the tv came with a 110 plug in to dumb down to 12 volt.
I want to dry camp without hookup. My tv manual does not say how to power tv on 12 volts.
Any ideas?
There is a USB port on my Furrion media unit in the wall. Run the TV off of that?
Thanks folks!

USB is good for 5 volts at .5 amps so that won't work. The USB on the media unit is probably for input anyway.

How about a photo of the dumbed down plug?

Research shows a 12 volt DC connection comes with the TV. Plug that into a cigarette lighter socket and it should work.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
USB is good for 5 volts at .5 amps so that won't work. The USB on the media unit is probably for input anyway.

How about a photo of the dumbed down plug?

Research shows a 12 volt DC connection comes with the TV. Plug that into a cigarette lighter socket and it should work.
Thanks much for the reply. Yes, TV came with a cigar lighter port, but there is just no cigar port near media unit.
In talking with daughter's boy friend, he said to remove panel, find 12 volt leads, and install cigar port. Seems like that ought to 7work.
Purchased trailer 7 weeks ago. Still reticent on making modifications.
Again, thanks!
Jon Mulder
Durham, CA
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Florida
Welcome to the Forum Jon!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

Which Coleman did you buy? They used to put a 12 volt port on the wall near where the TV mounts, it also has the coax connector for the antenna and the power button for antenna booster. It wouldn't surprise me if they quit installing them, probably could save $4 a unit.

They look similar to this, they come in white, ivory and dark brown.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Greetings,
Any ideas?
Thanks folks!

The Furrion media system runs on 12 VDC. So it should be available somewhere near the unit. Assuming you have a DVD player/radio system that runs without shore power correct?
Good luck
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
The Furrion media system runs on 12 VDC. So it should be available somewhere near the unit. Assuming you have a DVD player/radio system that runs without shore power correct?
Good luck
Bill
you can always use a 120v to 12v power supply.

https://voltage-converter-transforme...dc-max-10-amps
Old 09-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #8

Oregon
My 2017 Coleman 300tq did not come with a 12 volt power outlet and I doubt if yours did either. I added one in the enterrtainment wall where the main TV is located. I ran the wires down inside the wall. I pulled the converter out from the wall and attached the wires to the main battery cables that come from the battery to the converter. I used a 15amp inline fuse.

I can power a 40" LCD tv with a 175 watt inverter
I like Samlex because it's QUIET. Some inverter the fans are too loud.
https://www.toboaenergy.com/product/...sine-inverter/
If you have not done it already you should add at least two batteries I went with four
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #9

Oklahoma
I bet we can get at least two pages out of this thread. Doesn't make any difference the question was answered very early.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Cigarette lighter 12 volt power.
Quote:
Greetings,
Any ideas?
… Thanks folks!

A picture of the TV electrical connectors would help. The Furrion FEHD19S0A instructions say it has a 12 volt cigarette adapter. Assuming it has a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug you can do the following:

My Kodiak Cub came with two USB charging ports. One near the Furrion entertainment unit and one near the bed. I paid the dealer to install a lighter socket near the bed. He pulled the USB socket and added the lighter socket next to it connecting to the USB socket wiring.

After seeing how easy it was to do, I did the same for the USB socket near the Furrion unit. In fact many configurations of USB and lighter sockets are available and easily replace the USB unit. Find one on Amazon or other stores.
I chose a 2.1 X 2.1 amp USB combined with a lighter socket and just tossed out the .5 amp USB socket. Now I can plug in my Fantastic Fan and my wife can charge her Ipad 10 at a reasonable rate.
All the 12 volt wiring for the lights and fans are 14 gage and fused for 15 amps in my Cub. That will easily handle an 8 amp cigarette lighter load.

If you don’t have a wall mount USB charging socket near where you want your TV, you can use any nearby 12 light, fan, or the Furrion entertainment center 12 volt wire. Just mount the cigarette socket nearby and connect to the 12 volt devices 12 volt wire. I would not use a 12 volt feed from a major appliance like the furnace.
Your friendly neighborhood RV dealer can do it for you if you wish.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I bet we can get at least two pages out of this thread. Doesn't make any difference the question was answered very early.

I am betting 3 pages
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #12

Florida
what was the question????

LOL
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
what was the question????

LOL

Hang on a second I will scroll uppppppp............
Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #14

California
Issue Resolved -- Furrion TV -- How to run on 12 volt

I was able to remove a panel adjacent to the Furrion media unit, tap into the hot and ground leads, and install a three port cigar lighter on the front of the cabinet. Most lighters were designed for under dash mounting, but this triple port one was easy to mount on the cabinet. Also, the additional ports allow me more USB outlets.
Thanks to all for your helpful responses, and sorry for the long thread.

Jon Mulder
Durham, CA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917_150338.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5041