Electrical Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #1

Colorado
Electrical Questions

I have a 1994 Dutchman and it appears that I have lost electrical in the two outlets in my kitchen and 1 side of my slide. Any clue why? I checked the breakers and none have tripped. All was working fine this a.m. and this afternoon dead. I lost my heater but found the source of it's problem and now I have heat again....Yeah!!!!

matokeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Perhaps a GFCI somewhere tripped.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by matokeya View Post
I have a 1994 Dutchman and it appears that I have lost electrical in the two outlets in my kitchen and 1 side of my slide. Any clue why? I checked the breakers and none have tripped. All was working fine this a.m. and this afternoon dead. I lost my heater but found the source of it's problem and now I have heat again....Yeah!!!!
The 120 volt wiring is fairly simple in that it comes in to the breaker panel then splits off to the outlets. You may have a faulty breaker. Can you confirm that all the outlets that are out, come from the same breaker? As mentioned above you could have a tripped GFCI, if not someone with a volt meter and a little electrical experience should be able to troubleshoot it fairly easily. Could also be a bad connection at an outlet that feeds the others that are out.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #4

New Jersey
Last time I had power issues with things in the slide, it turned out the manufacturer (not Dutchmen) had used crip connectors. Being under the slide, and exposed to the road, they corroded,causing problems. Once they were all replaced, everything worked again. I'd get under your slide, and check the wire bundle, if there are wires connected with crimp connectors, replace them with sealing connectors. Is the kitchen in the slide? As previously stated, first place to look is for a tripped GFCI.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:59 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
Last time I had power issues with things in the slide, it turned out the manufacturer (not Dutchmen) had used crip connectors. Being under the slide, and exposed to the road, they corroded,causing problems. Once they were all replaced, everything worked again. I'd get under your slide, and check the wire bundle, if there are wires connected with crimp connectors, replace them with sealing connectors. Is the kitchen in the slide? As previously stated, first place to look is for a tripped GFCI.
Exposed wires with crimp connectors are 12Volt wiring. There should be neither in a 120VAC circuit. My money is on a GFCI.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Colorado
I really hate to appear stupid, but what a GFCI and where do I find it? Be gentle now. ) I have narrowed it down to the 3 outlets in my kitchen area. This area is located at the back of the unit. My slide, I remembered, is plugged into the outlet at the floor. All other outlets in the unit work. Thanks to all of you who have replied. Now I get to wait for 12 more inches of snow this afternoon to go with the 20 we got Wednesday. I'll be back later this evening. Again, Thanks for your answers.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Michigan
Look for an outlet in your kitchen or bathroom with a black and a red little button in the middle of the outlets. One of them is labelled RESET.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Colorado
Hey, it was in my bathroom. Thanks bunches. Guess I have a lot of learning to do on this unit. Appreciate your help. I would have never thought to look in my bathroom.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

Michigan
Anywhere there is a chance of water making contact with an outlet is where it could be. One GFCI outlet handles multiple outlets on that circuit - can't recall for sure, but I think it can handle 5? I carry a spare GFCI outlet in my boonie box after having one go bad on me on a trip.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Hey, it was in my bathroom. Thanks bunches. Guess I have a lot of learning to do on this unit. Appreciate your help. I would have never thought to look in my bathroom.
It was a GFCI tripped then?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #11

California
Any outlet that's on the outside of your RV is also connected to the GFI. Very easy for water to get into them & trip the circuit.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Colorado
Yes, and thanks bunches. I can now enjoy all the snow that is falling since last evening with a hot cup of coffee. I really do appreciate all the help everyone has given. At least I know where to go when I have questions. You guys are great.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:41 AM   #13

Colorado
I sure hope Dutchmen follows the code...but every outlet where there is water...kitchen, bathroom, utility room, laundry room...must now be protected with a GFCI.

I don't think code sets out where the GFCI must be located...but does set out which circuits must be protected!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #14

Colorado
Thanks, Pirate. My unit is a 1994 and I only have one GFCI in my bathroom. None in the kitchen. Should I, at some point, put them in the kitchen as well? Appreciate your reply.

On another note, did you get as much snow as we did in Woodland Park? It finally quit snowing around 4p yesterday.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #15

Michigan
That GFCI outlet is supposed to protect the other outlets that are on the same circuit.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks, Pirate. My unit is a 1994 and I only have one GFCI in my bathroom. None in the kitchen. Should I, at some point, put them in the kitchen as well? Appreciate your reply.

On another note, did you get as much snow as we did in Woodland Park? It finally quit snowing around 4p yesterday.
I would Ass-u-me that the GFCI in the bathroom is wired in such a way that it protects the plugs down stream from it. From the sounds of what happened it is wired correctly. My house is done similarly, there is a GFCI plug in the bathroom, then the outdoor plug is next, then the kitchen sink plug, then the half bath plug. If the power on one of them goes out you have to go to the bathroom to reset the GFCI. You don't want to add additional GFCI plugs to the circuit if they are already protected, it will cause issues.

On my new Concord RV they actually put little stickers on the plugs that are on the GFCI circuit. All 6 of them!

BTW enjoy the snow! We are enjoying clouds of yellow pollen, at least until it rains again.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

Colorado
Ok, I think I understand now. Thanks for all your replies. It sure helps when one purchases a used unit that came with no paperwork or instructions. Guess my next large hurtle is to skirt & insulate for next winter. Hopefully warmer weather comes to the Rockies soon as I'm certainly ready for it. Moving up here at this time of year has certainly shown me what I need to do this summer before next winter. I think that maybe I can figure that out, but if now, I'll be asking a whole lot more questions. So glad I found this site.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Ok, I think I understand now. Thanks for all your replies. It sure helps when one purchases a used unit that came with no paperwork or instructions. Guess my next large hurtle is to skirt & insulate for next winter. Hopefully warmer weather comes to the Rockies soon as I'm certainly ready for it. Moving up here at this time of year has certainly shown me what I need to do this summer before next winter. I think that maybe I can figure that out, but if now, I'll be asking a whole lot more questions. So glad I found this site.
New or used documentation is sketchy at best.Then factor in their inconsistent assembly practices...
The best bet is to ask questions, learn by trial and error, then document everything you find on your unit.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #19

South Carolina
Just trip your GFCI's with the "test" button. Then use a test light to see which outlets, if any, are still "alive." Those that are still alive with the GFCIs tripped are unprotected.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I sure hope Dutchmen follows the code...but every outlet where there is water...kitchen, bathroom, utility room, laundry room...must now be protected with a GFCI.

I don't think code sets out where the GFCI must be located...but does set out which circuits must be protected!!!

Pirate
\
It's doubtful they follow the NEC given some of the 110 volt wiring we've come across.
For GFCIs, 6 feet within a water source is sort of a rule of thumb for interior spaces.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote