Electrical problems on 2005 four winds - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Florida
Electrical problems on 2005 four winds

Good evening,
New to rving and just bought A 2005 four winds Duchman. Everything is working when plugged in but got no power at all when unplugged even with the engine running. Can't start the Onan generator, even the fridge doesn't works on propane as it completely dead. Any ideas, any direction? In advance thank you.

Rsimier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

New York
You need a battery (turned on) in order to use lights, etc. off power!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #3

Florida
Okay, so not too bad, right? We bought ithe rv yesterday and it was plugged in when we checked everything, of course. Nana & poppy thank you. I think a new battery is in order.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
There is a battery switch, somewhere. Typically they are a rotary switch, most are right in side the door as you come in, down near floor level. Make sure it is on.
You will also need to check the coach aka house batteries and make sure they are in decent shape. Should be two of them somewhere. These provide power to the 12 volt stuff in the back, including the fridge power board, which is why it won't run on LP.

The engine has it's own battery, but all it is for is the engine and running lights.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

Florida
Cool thank you. That battery power switch is on but I still don't have power for the generator to start or even to turn on the light.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsimier View Post
Cool thank you. That battery power switch is on but I still don't have power for the generator to start or even to turn on the light.
Loose/corroded connection(s), bad batteries, bad switch. Try jump starting the generator? Might be a bad battery isolator keeping the vehicle from putting a charge into the house batteries. Based on the fact nothing works even with the engine running I would start with the isolator, it supposed to allow power to run to the coach batteries, but not back to the engine battery, to keep it from getting run down. It is also to act as a safety switch when you hook up to shore power to keep the generator from back feeding the power pole. Here is a link to a video on the basics of how to test one It is based on a marine system with dual battery banks, but the process is similar.

Any of the above is a possibility given the age of the unit. Did you buy from an individual or dealer? If dealer; I would be headed back there and make them check it out. Personally I think it stinks that they didn't show you that everything worked prior to your purchase.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #7

Florida
Aaron, I do agree with you it sucks, nonetheless I will go back to the dealer and have a talk with him. He seems to be a nice guy but again he sells used vehicles... Thank you for the info and I will check it on line and try it tomorrow, thanks again .

Tags
dead battery, electrical, no power