Electrical problem... Help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Texas
Electrical problem... Help

This is my first RV. Voltage 3818. We have used it 5 times since purchase last summer. Love it. We are learning new things every trip and now need to get a tester as I think i hooked up to bad 50 amp service at pioneer rv park outside of Laffaytte, La. After hookup I was using the auto leveler which worked but the led panel was out. I also noticed the lights dimming significantly when pump was on. on in side the AC/thermostate would only tun on in zone 1 (thank God as that is the zone with the furnace.) no circut breakers are out or fried and the 1 gfci in the bathroom has been reset. I'm having slight electrical problems. 1 outlet dead and outside tv dead. also noticed1 of the 2 green lights on the male side of the chord is now out. led screen on both hydrolic lever and ac/heat out. Any guesses?
Thank You
Gronny

gronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

South Carolina
Sounds like one leg of the 50 amp supply is dead. Did you get the outlet tested? If it's OK, reset your main input circuit breaker, whether or not it looks tripped.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Missouri
Reset your circuit breakers.. and see if it problem still exists. Also you can put a meter on the cord and verify that it is good. You need a multi meter to do this. If you don't have one, it a good addition to have on your rig. If you need detail instruction on how to test you power cable let me know.

Get a surge suppressor, this one is the least expensive and will provide you with circuit testing and surge protection every time you hook up to power. There are more expensive ones out there that have more bells and whistles, but this meets the minimum needs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using mine I found two campsite with no ground which can be very dangerous.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Using mine I found two campsite with no ground which can be very dangerous.
Agree 100% with Eric. In both 30 and 50 amp outlets, previous campers have made many an outlet a mess. Here's the version I use: Amazon.com: Technology Research 44270 Surge Guard 50 Amp Surge Protector: Automotive
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 AM   #5

Louisiana
Does everything work when you disconnect from shore power and fire up the generator?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Texas
On the generator we still don't show zones 2 and 3. the hydrolic panel is also out and the hydrolic motor still works but seems slower. I am thinking we wiped out the led panels and are only on one leg. My question is where are all the breakers. I have reset all inside and reset the 2 30's on the generator. can't find anymore but am thinking we there must be some.
gronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronny View Post
On the generator we still don't show zones 2 and 3. the hydrolic panel is also out and the hydrolic motor still works but seems slower. I am thinking we wiped out the led panels and are only on one leg. My question is where are all the breakers. I have reset all inside and reset the 2 30's on the generator. can't find anymore but am thinking we there must be some.
That is actually beginning to sound like something is loose or disconnected INSIDE the breaker panel. I would suggest removing the front panel and taking a look. If you are not comfortable with that idea, find an electrician to take a peek.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote