Didn't trip the 20 amp breaker! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

South Carolina
Didn't trip the 20 amp breaker!

Just got back from a municipal park, an older one with 20 amp 120VAC and water, no sewer. Built back in the Shasta days. I brought the generator in case we needed AC. But it was shady, and we were ok. Friends asked about the generator, and said, "we run ours here!" The fridge was on propane, nothing else AC, and the breaker panel was only about 100 ft away, in case it tripped. We have a standard-sized rooftop Coleman AC. So I tried it! Yeah! We've got air! Didn't try the microwave, and felt good knowing the breaker panel was nearby. It turned out to be a fun park, and they brought Karaoke in, too! (yes, I did!) Hated to leave!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Just got back from a municipal park, an older one with 20 amp 120VAC and water, no sewer. Built back in the Shasta days. I brought the generator in case we needed AC. But it was shady, and we were ok. Friends asked about the generator, and said, "we run ours here!" The fridge was on propane, nothing else AC, and the breaker panel was only about 100 ft away, in case it tripped. We have a standard-sized rooftop Coleman AC. So I tried it! Yeah! We've got air! Didn't try the microwave, and felt good knowing the breaker panel was nearby. It turned out to be a fun park, and they brought Karaoke in, too! (yes, I did!) Hated to leave!
You can keep the Karaoke... I hated it when I was a bar tender and still don't like it today!

I have run roof top air on 20 amp branch, just have to be very, very careful that you don't hit a low voltage situation and burn something up. We used to run our Coleman popup on 20 amp all the time, just didn't run anything BUT the air. One of the features that I dearly love on my current Coleman is the low amp draw air.

Glad you had fun, we are heading out early Thursday morning for a long weekend at Camp Barnhardt up in the Uwharrie Mountains near Albemarle, NC. The camp is a BSA facility, we are riding heard on ~50 pageant girls. I am the tech support for camping and camp fire cooking. The rest of the time I am goofing of and working on my nap technique.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am the tech support for camping and camp fire cooking.Aaron
Sounds like fun! You'll go through about 200 Smore's! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Sounds like fun! You'll go through about 200 Smore's! LOL
Probably more than that! I am taking not one but three 6 quart hand cranked ice cream freezers. The girls are working on an award program and the major requirements are; no electricity, sleeping in tents and cooking over an open fire. I know there are 3 or 4 in that group that will consider that a luxury, the others will be really roughing it. One of the younger ladies took a trophy Tom Turkey during our hunting season this year. Beat out 15 or 20 old guys that are in the same hunt club.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 amp, air cond