Clicking from A/C area when furnace turns off and on - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Montana
Clicking from A/C area when furnace turns off and on

Hello. Please forgive the copy/pasting from another thread I started on another site, but I'm hoping someone here might have some answers. My original posts were from back in May 2012. Here is a summary of what I'm dealing with.
My original question:
Quote:
I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sound I've been hearing. Our brand new TT is now sitting in the driveway and I'm having fun going through the shakedown runs of all the equipment. It was cold over the weekend so I had the furnace on. This unit has a digital thermostat on the wall that controls both the furnace for heating and the A/C for cooling. I noticed that just before the furnace fan kicks on, a series of clicks can be heard from the overhead A/C unit. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off, probably about 6 to 8 times. Then the furnace turns on and works normally. Then again before the furnace shuts off (fan is still running) the clicks happen again. Seems to me like the thermostat is sending some signal to the A/C unit and resulting in some sort of clicking. The A/C is not on and the A/C fan is not on at any time during this cycling of the furnace. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks.
The response:
Quote:
That is exactly what is happening- the furnace is controlled by the circuit board in the air conditioner, and you are hearing the relay click.
This is true of most DuoTherm/Dometic models, not for Coleman/RVP though.
Having camped several times now I have become fed up with the clicking, so here is what I've done along with my question to the helpful folks here. Thanks for reading!

The clicking is driving me crazy, even if it is "normal" for operation. It wakes me up when it clicks and I hate it! My thermostat has a 1 degree or 2 degree swing. It was setup on the 1 degree swing. I felt like the furnace was cycling too much so I have since set things up on a 2 degree swing. I haven't had enough testing to see if it changes the clicking. This weekend I should find out.
Is there ANY way to eliminate the clicking if this doesn't work? It is SOOO ANNOYING!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Re: Clicking from A/C area when furnace turns off and on

I dont know about the clicking when it shuts down, but is it not just your Igniter clicking on start up ?

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

Montana

It is not the ignitor. It comes from up inside the ceiling-mounted air conditioner.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Montana

Update, no clicking this weekend! I think changing the variance from a 1 degree temperature swing to 2 degrees made the difference.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Lets hope you have solved the problem. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked..

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote