chirping noise - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Alberta
chirping noise

2014 voltage 3305
Have a chirping noise. Disconnected the propane detector and still have it. Took batteries out of smoke alarm and still have it!!!!!

Could not find the CO2 detector location? Any help on location or what may cause this?
The chirp is occuring every 30-40 seconds and occurs with power plugged in, genny running, and only battery power.

Miffed?

walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Wyoming
Gotta be the CO detector... and you're bound to have one, powered by a standard 9V battery. Should be identical to the one I have on my 2013 Voltage, and looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CO.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	6383

Mine was in the main LR area, on the ceiling by the entry-stairs to the bedroom. I've since added 2 more... 1 in the bedroom, and another in the garage.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Alabama
Mine is mounted in the riser of the steps leading to the bedroom.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

Alberta
It turns out what I thought was a smoke detector is my C02 . It is on the ceiling in the main living area. No batteries in it . Could it be making the chirp?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

California
Did you check the bedroom detector?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #6

Alberta
Nothing in the bedroom or bathroom.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Nothing in the bedroom or bathroom.

Weird, I have a 3305 and there is a detector right next to the slider that goes into the bathroom from the bedroom. I also have one above the stairs into the bedroom and then a Carbon monoxide detector opposite the sofa. Mine is a couple of years newer than yours but surprised you don’t have one. What you are describing is exactly what happened on my bedroom detector about 3 months ago. That was about 3 years old at the time.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Detectors

Look near the floor on lower levels for propane detectors. Look on ceilings for smoke detectors. CO detectors can be anywhere.

There are three typical gas detector types in most RV's. They are smoke, CO, and propane. More than one function can be combined in the same detector. Smoke detectors must be on or near the ceiling. Propane detectors must be near the floor and so are rarely in the same device.

Detectors may be powered by batteries or by 12 volt circuits. Many TT's propane detectors are connected to the 12 volt system. They are "on" at all times or "on" when battery disconnect is "on". Usually they are "on" even when the factory installed battery disconnect is "off".

Chirping usually means "low battery". However, some detectors chirp when they reach "end of life". Both smoke and CO detectors have a specified life. I don't know about propane detector life.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #9

Alberta
Thanks for the reply. I have my trailer in storage and when I take it home will look into it again,
Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 AM   #10

Arizona
Even when I take the battery out of a detector it will chirp for some time due to an internal power source. Could be your issue.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #11

Alberta
smoke detector is out of trailer as well as propane detector out and co2 out physically and still a chirp even with the battery disconnect off.
Very strange .
Old 07-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Wyoming
Ok, so just to verify... Your rig is in storage, with NO shore-power connected, correct? And yet, you still hear the chirping with the smoke, CO, and propane detectors all either out of the rig, or batteries removed??

Another thing.. quoting your latest post: "...still a chirp even with the battery disconnect off." By Battery Disconnect, I assume you mean the switch that cuts 12v battery power to your interior lights & such. It's been noted here often that, even though that switch is in the OFF position, that there are still various components that have a parasitic draw on the battery. Maybe your chirping device is one of them.

May I suggest removing the cables from the battery itself, and see if you still have the chirping then? This will ensure that NO 12v power is being supplied to your rig's components.

If you do that, and you do not have commercial shore power connected to the rig... and then you STILL have the chirping noise from an undetermined location... you can then be sure it is some type of other portable small removable-battery type device that you have to find. Possibly a 2nd smoke detector, CO detector, TV remote, etc. Something that gives you an audible warning when it's power source is weak... or when the device itself is dying.

Good luck.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #13

Alberta
I know it sounds strange. Trailer is back in storage after 3 nights out. All 3 detectors are physically out. No shore power and no genny running and yesy, the battery disconnect in off and still a chirping noise . I will disconnect my batteries next time I take it home. I even took the face plate of my audio dvd system in case something is being routed through my speaker system,
thanks for your help........................ a mystery for sure.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #14

Arizona
There has to be another device in the trailer somewhere. Doesn't have to be, but probably is, another detector. Could there be something in the pass thru storage, cabinet, under the sink etc.? May have to get someone with better ears to help track it down.

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #15

Iowa
On a couple occasions I've had the level up controller chirp or maybe more of a beep located on the driver side pass through storage area. It can happen when the camper is setting on a slope and one of the jacks extends fully out without touching the ground, I've had to add more blocking under that jack. But I had it happen this past weekend on level ground. Why I don't know. Controller will chirp and it reads that to acknowledge push the enter button then the chirping stops and you can shut it off.

Don't know if this is your source of the chirp but it's a place to look.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Your first post was July 10, with to date that is at least 10 days. You also say that it chirps about every 30 to 40 seconds. With all power disconnected, and still chirping, my guess would be something battery operated, such as cell phone, tv remote, remote controlled devices, etc. Something with a low battery warning when batteries that are low. Can you not track noise location by just listening where chirp is the loudest? Possibly have couple people with good hearing assist. Good Luck
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #17

Alberta
I do not have the automatic level up system so that is out. Remote control batteries is something I never thought about and worth looking at. Next time trailer is home I will disconnect batteries first and then look in, under, over, etc the whole rig again. I bought it one year old so there could be something hiding .
Thanks for comments.