Boost or Jump Starters can you use on trailer? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Georgia
Boost or Jump Starters can you use on trailer?

Hi All,

We have a Dutchman Aerolite. 213RBSL and it’s a real bear to get to the battery. After storing for 2-3 months the battery dies (even with the battery switch turned off). Have disconnected the battery manually as well. Anyway I end up having to remove the battery and take it home to charge it, then return and reinstall it. I am 65 now and that is a chore I’d rather not have to do, the back just doesn’t like leaning over to pull that heavy battery out.

Can I use one of those battery jump starters (like NOCO Boost Plus GB40) to connect to the battery and run the electric jack up so I can connect to my truck and tow it home without damaging anything? Then I can just plug the trailer in when I get home to charge the battery. Much easier on my old back!

Thanks for your input!

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #2

Florida
I put a 100 watt solar panel on my RV to take care of those pesky issues. I used a flexible panel and glues it to the roof with eternabond tape screws and lots of butyl. Worked fantastic.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Florida
Yes, Jump box is basically A spare battery And you’re
Not using it to power everything I have done same thing on
My other trailer A few times with no issues.
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

California
Why not install one of those quick disconnect harnesses to the battery terminals and leave the other end accessible then you can use a battery maintainer or trickle charger to charge it without having to remove it from the trailer?
Old 08-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Why not install one of those quick disconnect harnesses to the battery terminals and leave the other end accessible then you can use a battery maintainer or trickle charger to charge it without having to remove it from the trailer?
Thanks, but no place to plug one in while parked in storage. Looking for a “portable” solution until I can get her home to plug it.

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 08-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I put a 100 watt solar panel on my RV to take care of those pesky issues. I used a flexible panel and glues it to the roof with eternabond tape screws and lots of butyl. Worked fantastic.
Thanks, we’ve considered that. It’s a good long term solution we may do after we redo our roof. Appreciate your response.

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
Yes, Jump box is basically A spare battery And you’re
Not using it to power everything I have done same thing on
My other trailer A few times with no issues.
Thanks, what size did you use? We are thinking 1000amp?

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 08-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
Thanks, but no place to plug one in while parked in storage. Looking for a “portable” solution until I can get her home to plug it.

I understand that but at least you will then be able to charge the battery without removing it when you get home. Also, a good batter with no load on it should last more that a few months in storage so check your battery too. I get it is weak or bad.

As far as size of the jump box goes you should be fine with any size. The big Amos are really for cranking and engine (cold cranking amps) which will not be necessary for you.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

Georgia
Thanks DSOL. We are fortunate enough to have a 30amp plug at home. So when we are at home we just plug into “shore power” and let the inverter charge the battery. We do have a Battery Tender Plus with quick connect but use it only to charge the battery once we bring it home. Trying to avoid the “bring it home part”. Thank you for your input.

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 08-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #10

California
Edited post.

Sorry this post was riddled with typos! See my revised below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I understand that but at least you will then be able to charge the battery without removing it when you get home. Also, a good batter with no load on it should last more that a few months in storage so check your battery too. I get it is weak or bad.

As far as size of the jump box goes you should be fine with any size. The big Amos are really for cranking and engine (cold cranking amps) which will not be necessary for you.
I understand that but at least you will then be able to charge the battery without removing it when you get home. Also, a good battery with no load on it should last more than a few months in storage so check your battery too. I am guessing it is weak or bad.

As far as size of the jump box goes you should be fine with any size. The big ones are really for cranking an engine (cold cranking amps) which will not be necessary for you in this case.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #11

Florida
Shumacher modal Sj1289 Walmart or amazon.
About 100 bucks It’s been a beast we’ve had
It about four years We also use it to power our golf cart
lights for Christmas and Halloween,
Hope this helps all our best Central Florida
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #12

Wisconsin
If you back up to the trailer close enough to plug in the trailer plug to your tow vehicle, won't that supply 12 volts to the trailer from your tow vehicle, and then be able to operate the electric tongue jack?
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:16 AM   #13

Idaho
I'm thinking your trailer battery should also charge through the trailer wire connection. Back up, plug up and idle the tow vehicle for a while with a nice cup of coffee then drop the hitch down and connect the rest.

A dead battery will also prevent emergency trailer brakes from functioning.

If your battery drains like this is probably shot, it's time to install a battery cut off breaker switch right at the positive battery post. Example pictured, but you probably want a 30 amp. My batteries do the same, but I added solar and they're always up to snuff now. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210924-221439.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7176

Pastot is offline   Reply With Quote