Battery Switch? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

Battery Switch?

If I do not use the standard electrical is there a switch to turn on to just use the battery. I used my camper for the first time several weeks ago and lost power at the campsite and the battery would not work. It worked for using the front jack but nothing else in the camper.

sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
Re: Battery Switch?

Nope, no switch to go between power supply...

The only things that should have worked in the camper (with the battery) were the lights, bathroom vent fan, radio and water pump. The fridge & water heater would have run off the propane. Everything else (outlets, AC, microwave, TV, etc.) requires 110 power.

Did you check the breakers and/or fuses that could have been tripped/blown from the power loss?

Dave.

2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Community Founder

As long as the battery is connected and fully charged, all 12 volt lights & accessories should work.

If the electric tongue jack works, but nothing else, check the Breaker near rhe "A" frame. The breaker will look like the image below. It's possible there is a bad connection or the breaker is Tripped or went bad. Some breakers have s Manual Reset button. If so, press the button and it should start working again. If it's a Auto Reset, it will need to be replaced if it doesn't automatically reset.

Below is a Manual Reset Breaker. Note the small black button on the side.

Below is a Auto Reset breaker.

These are generally located near the A-frame tongue. Look under the front of your trailer behind the tongue.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the help. I will check first thing tomorrow. When the power went off it did not show that the battery was charged on my meter but the foot power still worked. I was dead in the water or campsite anyway.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Nope, no switch present and all fuses are good.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

I would like an answer to this one as well, I wondered what those little connectors were. I was just going to add about 2 feet of wire and a marine on/off switch between them and the battery, to shut off the drain inbetween RV uses. The amount of accessories will kill the battery within weeks if left parked without disconnecting the battery.
winglessprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

I am thinking it is a whole wiring issue. I was looking at it and it just does not seem right.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
jim

Idaho
battery switch

On my 3600 voltage the tech found the conections on the back of my fuse pannel were all loose, thus causing the signal to and from the battery to be interrupted.

jim is offline   Reply With Quote