battery ran dead - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Illinois
battery ran dead

We took our 2006 dutchman denali out for our first trip in it this wkend, It s got a brand new battery, would like 2 go dual battery soon,, My first discovery was there are several outlets not working in camper, fuses and breakers all good, found a gfi outlet that will not rest near bathroom, figure thats my outlet problem,, problem number 2 came sat, camped friday night, all day sat then at night the lights got really dim, furnace would not kick on due 2 not enough power,, i was hooked up 2 the 30 amp shore power also, microwave clock was lite, fridge was running, sunday the slides would not move due 2 lack of power, plugged my truck into trailer light cord and let run for about 30 mins,, everything worked great,, could my converter have went bad???????? thanks everyone

ely1176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

South Carolina
You're on the right track. Microwave working means shore power is good. That should be the input to the converter. Check circuit breaker. Dying/dead battery that did recharge when connected to truck indicates battery was not getting charged by converter. Check fuses on converter, connections and any in-line circuit breakers on output side all the way to battery. Use voltmeter or at least a test lamp to check power to battery. If it is coming out of the converter, but not getting to battery, it is a wiring problem and not the battery.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Montana
The outlet issue may be related to the converter issue. If that AC circuit is out due to GFCI (or whatever other reason) and the converter is tied into that circuit, then it may not be operating along with the other outlets out due to the GFCI trip. I believe mine was originally wired this way before I isolated the converter on to its own circuit so I could shut it off with the flip of a switch. If this is the case, the battery isn't being charged even though you're plugged in. Charging from the vehicle is equivalent to a small trickle charge, so unless you're driving for like 10+ hours a day it isn't getting the batteries up to full charge. 30 minutes was enough to get up and running again but I suspect the batteries are barely charged.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Yup

Check power TO the converter, willing to bet it is wired into the 120 volt circuit that isn't working.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

Illinois
We decided 2 take it 2 pontiac rv for repairs, thanks everyone
ely1176 is offline   Reply With Quote