Battery Power not working Aspen Trail TT - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 01:25 AM   #1

Texas
Battery Power not working Aspen Trail TT

Hey All; I'm a little stumped, Need your input please.

2017 Aspen Trail 2890BHS. This past year we have not used our TT any.. Moving left little time for traveling. Anyway the battery ran down and when I pulled it out it wouldn't take a charge... Got a new Deep Cycle battery put it on my charger so it would have a full charge. Put it in this evening and the tongue worked fine. Could rase and lower the TT.
Went inside expecting the lights to work off the battery... Nothing.. Tried the gas stove and no spark to lite the burner.. Check the panel and its little red LED's kinda half lite and infact slightly flickered a little. So I plugged in the AC and all the lights work, but its using the AC source which is converting to DC 12 volts. Fridge still wouldn't light. Wonder if a relay somewhere might be stuck somewhere?
Not sure where to start here...

Thx All !!

Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Tex,

There are lots of possibilities. The likely explanation is the battery was not fully charged. Using the tongue jack depleted remaining charge.

I looked at the specs for your Aspen Trail. It seems typical for Dutchmen TT's. I expect there is no microprocessor energy management system and no 12 volt disconnect switch on a control panel near the door. The 55 amp converter/charger is connected to the battery and the house circuits through fuses. Plugging the TT in to shore power simply applies 12 volts to the battery and the house circuits.
Leave it plugged in for 14 to 18 hours and the new battery will be fully charged.
Measure voltage at battery terminals. It should be13.6 after 10 hours of charging.

Alternative cause:
The tongue jack may be on its own circuit through a fuse directly to the battery. The house circuits may pass through a self resetting circuit breaker to the battery box. That breaker may not be re-setting properly.
Battery will not charge properly.
Measure the voltage across the breaker. It should be zero volts when the TT is plugged in and battery is fully charged. It may be 0.5 to 1.0 volts if breaker is not re-set. Replace breaker.

Alternative cause:
Cable from battery to house circuit may have loose or corroded connections in either the positive cable or in the negative cables connected to the frame.
Battery will not charge properly. Frame negative connections often corrode.

Use your digital voltmeter to measure the voltage at the battery terminals. There is a charging voltage profile, a discharging profile, and a static profile. Yes, it can get complicated.

A fully charged battery that has been used, but not charged recently will have less than 13.0 volts (part of discharge and static profile). A battery being charged for 10 hours or more will have 13.2 to 14.5 volts (part of charging profile).

So, if the TT is plugged into shore power and the built in charger is working properly, the fully charged battery should read 13.6 volts.
If the built in charger is not working properly and you ran the tongue jack briefly, the voltage should be below 13.0 volts.
Voltage across any cable connector should be zero. Remove, clean, repair, apply electrical grease, and reconnect.

Charging profile:
Starting with a discharged battery at say 11.5 volts, the 55 amp charger should raise the voltage slowly to 14.4 volts. Four hours after charging begins, voltage should drop to 13.6 volts. Charging should be continued for a total of 18 hours.

Static profile:
State of Charge (SOC) can be determined using static charge profile. Static means no charging or discharging for 4 hours. 12.7 to 13.3 volts is fully charged. 12.3 to 12.2 is 50%. 11.4 is fully discharged.

Discharging profile:
The higher the current being drawn, the lower the voltage will be. A high discharge rate on a 50% SOC battery can be below 11.0 volts.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #3

California
Just in case, white cable is negative

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Texas
Its working.....

Fixed it.... Thx Paul for your detailed help and research....

So I've done this long enough I've learned to look for the simple things first...
Started at the battery 12.4v good.. next in-line was a terminal block. Post 1 =12.4v post 2 of the terminal block was 9.54... what.. ??? Took it apart clean with wire brush the posts, wire nuts and screw nut. Put it back together and Yeppee it worked. Fridge lit. gas stove lit. indoor lighting worked... Whew simple fix..
Battery is now charging via shore line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal-block1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	6453   Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal block2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	6454  
Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
Fixed it.... Thx Paul for your detailed help and research....

So I've done this long enough I've learned to look for the simple things first...
Started at the battery 12.4v good.. next in-line was a terminal block. Post 1 =12.4v post 2 of the terminal block was 9.54... what.. ??? Took it apart clean with wire brush the posts, wire nuts and screw nut. Put it back together and Yeppee it worked. Fridge lit. gas stove lit. indoor lighting worked... Whew simple fix..
Battery is now charging via shore line.

Congrats. Saved money and tons of time versus trip to the dealer who probably wouldn’t have found the issue anyway because nothing was “broken”. They would have sold you a couple of new batteries, terminal blocks and auto reset fuses, possibly even some new cables![emoji3]
Old 09-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Florida
Awesome answer. I plan on keeping this thread for reference.

Kodiak Fox is offline   Reply With Quote