Battery level monitoring and question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Indiana
Battery level monitoring and question

Hello,
So a few months ago I replaced my single deep cycle battery with 2x6volt batteries. I have used them for multiple weekends with no issues, but after a few charging cycles my monitoring station is showing they are low even though I just fully charged them with my independent 12v battery charger.
I know the stock battery monitoring system isn’t that great.

Here is the process I followed and pics below:
1. I fully charged my batteries and then let them sit for 24hrs.
2. They were sitting at 12.7v after the 24hrs.
3. I used my battery tester to test all the cells. They all measured 1.30 at the top of the Good range.
4. However when I check the on board system the batteries say they are only 3/4 full and if I run the pump it drops down even further even though the voltage always seems to stay above 12v etc.

Does this just mean that the on board system is flaked out? I keep my digital voltage reader plugged in at all times and have a voltage chart I found online. Is this the most accurate way to do it?

I just want to make sure my batteries are okay, since they have a 12 month free replacement warranty that I can use if they go bad this year.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I wouldn't trust the on board system. Your volt meter and specific gravity tester are much more accurate.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #3

Tennessee
I haven't touched a single button on the on-board system since the first month of owning the camper.

I have a voltage meter to check the battery and commonsense and experience for the black and grey tanks.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #4

Oregon
I would not trust the panel battery monitor. Is your LED digital gauge plugged into a 12 volt outlet or is it hard wired?
I would consider getting a Volt Minder. I have used one for years and they work great. You can set a low battery alarm to let you know when your getting low on voltage.
I mounted mine near the converter and hard wired to the battery cable connection at the converter. This is where the cables come from the batteries.
Digital Voltmeter | VoltMinder.com

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

Indiana
The voltage meter that I have is just one that plugs into the 12v outlet.

I have just been looking at this chart, so I figure I am good as long as my voltage is above 12 volts. Is this correct? Also, are these voltages with no load, or should it remain over 12v with load on it?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Oregon
I don't let my batteries drop below 12.2v. Some devices in your trailer may require 12v+ to work properly.
Your furnace when on battery will drop the battery level fast.
There may be a volt drop at your digital outlet meter because of that type of connection but probably not significant.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
The voltage meter that I have is just one that plugs into the 12v outlet.

I have just been looking at this chart, so I figure I am good as long as my voltage is above 12 volts. Is this correct? Also, are these voltages with no load, or should it remain over 12v with load on it?

Those should be no load numbers aka resting voltage. I use a plug in meter just to give me a general idea of where my batteries are at any given time. What you eventually will want is a meter that tracks amps in and out. Victron and Trimetric are the two best. I am partial to the Victron with the blue tooth dongle. You don't want to discharge the lead acid batteries below 50% on a regular basis, an occasional dip down won't kill them.

Also which converter do you have? If you have a WFCO they don't do the charge profiles properly under most conditions. You want a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage with the charge wizard.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #8

Alabama
Amen tom the Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Those should be no load numbers aka resting voltage. I use a plug in meter just to give me a general idea of where my batteries are at any given time. What you eventually will want is a meter that tracks amps in and out. Victron and Trimetric are the two best. I am partial to the Victron with the blue tooth dongle. You don't want to discharge the lead acid batteries below 50% on a regular basis, an occasional dip down won't kill them.

Also which converter do you have? If you have a WFCO they don't do the charge profiles properly under most conditions. You want a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage with the charge wizard.

Aaron
Amen to the progressive. The WFCO was boiling the electrolyte to more than 20% before going bad. The charge wizard works great I dueled up the monitor and have one in the living area next to the panel and one in the battery compartment. If I'm hooked up and getting things out of the front hatch I can glance and see all is well.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #9

Indiana
This is what I currently have. I have priced out an upgrade, but it probably won’t happen for a few months. I usually use charger at my house and connect it directly to the batteries to charge them. If I am plugged in I will pull the negative battery cable off the batteries so they don’t continuously charge.