Battery Disconnect not working? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #1

Washington
Battery Disconnect not working?

In the generator/battery bay in the front of my Voltage 3305, I have a dial that appears to be a battery disconnect. At least, that's what I assumed it was. When recently storing my trailer for a week, before I locked her up, I flicked that switch to the RED side, assuming it would disconnect the battery from the house systems.
When I returned yesterday, before I flicked the switch back to the GREEN indicator, I lifted the levelers and opened a slide. It was only after that when I realized that "disconnect" must be something different than I thought - or it's not wire properly.

Nothing in the Dutchmen manual about that item.
Thoughts??

The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

that factory disconnect does not isolate the battery. Several items remain on inside the camper despite the disconnect being turned off. The only way to truly disconnect the battery from the system is to install another disconnect where the battery is located. It is wired like this so the gas detector and some othr safety items remain functional.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Realizing that the manufacturer isn't big on standardizing anything, my battery disconnect on our 2015 3305 is in the front compartment that you access from the curb side storage access door. Out of curiosity I unplugged the power and switched off the disconnect and nothing has power, not even the gas detection monitor, etc. Does yours have a switch in that location too? Otherwise perhaps the switch isn't disconnecting..??..
EDIT: Try unplugging the shore line, turn off the battery disconnect switch and see if any lights or anything works. If so, either the switch is bad, or there is another switch somewhere and the switch you have been using is for something else (what for I have no idea)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect switch.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	3540  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
that factory disconnect does not isolate the battery. Several items remain on inside the camper despite the disconnect being turned off. The only way to truly disconnect the battery from the system is to install another disconnect where the battery is located. It is wired like this so the gas detector and some othr safety items remain functional.
Thanks for the response. That would make sense if they considered the slideouts and the leveling system to be safety items like a CO & Smoke detector. Maybe they do. I'll check other 12V items the next time I turn it off and unplug from shore power.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Realizing that the manufacturer isn't big on standardizing anything, my battery disconnect on our 2015 3305 is in the front compartment that you access from the curb side storage access door. Out of curiosity I unplugged the power and switched off the disconnect and nothing has power, not even the gas detection monitor, etc. Does yours have a switch in that location too? Otherwise perhaps the switch isn't disconnecting..??..
EDIT: Try unplugging the shore line, turn off the battery disconnect switch and see if any lights or anything works. If so, either the switch is bad, or there is another switch somewhere and the switch you have been using is for something else (what for I have no idea)
Thanks. Mine is in the forward-facing compartment against the inside wall right above the battery box and next to the generator. A seemingly logical place if it did what I was expecting it to do.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
Thanks. Mine is in the forward-facing compartment against the inside wall right above the battery box and next to the generator. A seemingly logical place if it did what I was expecting it to do.
I have a 2015 3305. My disconnect is right above the battery just like yours. Mine disconnects everything. The battery positive cable leaves the battery and goes straight to the disconnect.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #7

Washington
Well, is official.... According to Keystone, the leveling system and slide outs remain connected to the battery when the disconnect is OFF. Apparently it's a safety feature and "sometimes" the CO Detector remains connected. (Huh?) seems like the installers do whatever they feel like on a given week.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:40 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
(Huh?) seems like the installers do whatever they feel like on a given week.
That's why you can't get an electrical schematic from Dutchmen. They save the cost of drafting up a wiring harness

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
I have a 2015 3305. My disconnect is right above the battery just like yours. Mine disconnects everything. The battery positive cable leaves the battery and goes straight to the disconnect.
Really should be negative cable. It is safer that way.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Well, is official.... According to Keystone, the leveling system and slide outs remain connected to the battery when the disconnect is OFF. Apparently it's a safety feature and "sometimes" the CO Detector remains connected. (Huh?) seems like the installers do whatever they feel like on a given week.
Only way is to put in an aftermarket battery disconnect near the battery and use the negative cable for this. This is the one I used and has worked very good. This first one I got broke the second time I turned it off and on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote