battery compartment - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

West Virginia
battery compartment

Hi all I have been looking at a used camper the people who is selling it says they know nothing about it. everything seems to work but for the life of me I can't find the battery compartment it has a bank of 12 volt fuses.. we looked what we thought everywhere.... here is the information I have any help would be greatly appreciated. 1997 aerolite seven "the original" "21 rdb.
thanks in advance..

newtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtome View Post
Hi all I have been looking at a used camper the people who is selling it says they know nothing about it. everything seems to work but for the life of me I can't find the battery compartment it has a bank of 12 volt fuses.. we looked what we thought everywhere.... here is the information I have any help would be greatly appreciated. 1997 aerolite seven "the original" "21 rdb.
thanks in advance..
I would be concerned about buying something from someone that can't provide any details about it. I would be checking to ensure that they indeed own the unit.

That said if you go to the Dutchmen web site and click on the Customer Service tab, it will take you to the literature section. Click the ARCHIVE tab then on1997.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

West Virginia
thank you for your reply , the people has the title in hand , so not worried about that. checked the site you mentioned it says as standard equipment " battery box with positive ventilation".. Its not at the tongue like must trailers the propane bottles are in a compartment under the front window at the tongue. I have walked around it I can not find any compartments for a battery I opened everyone up... I looked at the breaker box it has like 4 110 volt breakers on one side and has 12 volt fuses on the other side ? Could the battery compartment be under the bed on that model we looked everywhere but there and the reason I didn't look under the bed was well never seen a battery on the inside of a camper ... don't they give off gas? and is that the reason for the " positive ventilation" on their description ... thanks all..
Old 06-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #4

British Columbia
Have you removed the propane bottles and looked in the propane compartment.

They have to be in one of the exterior compartments, the 1998 brochure references an exterior access to the batteries.

Someone could have removed the batteries, if they had it set up in a permanent park.

Look behind the inverter and see if you can see the 12V supply line, that may give you a hint on where to look.

Never seen a TT that concealed the batteries well enough that they couldn't be found.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

West Virginia
Thank you hddecker for your replies ! Yes I looked behind the propane tanks not there no room for them there, I called the manufacturing company Dutchman and with the age of the camper they are limited on information with that model but he did say they COULD be inside but have a vent to the outside , we did not look at vents on the outside of camper I was looking for a access panel.. LOL , but on another forum someone said the battery compartment was under the bed on the TT , but I will let you know when and If I find out... Thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #6

British Columbia
If they are under the bed, be sure that they are well sealed and the vent is unobstructed.

I just about lost an eye when I was a kid, I had a battery on a charger and I bumped the clamp, causing a spark and blowing the battery up. It left me with a great respect for the power of hydrogen.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #7

California
Aerolite seven battery location

Hi, everyone.
I recently purchased a 1997 Aerolite Seven and was having the same problem locating the battery. After 3 days of searching I decided to open the screened panel under the stove where I found a small plastic box with a ventilation hose coming out of the top. I removed it and voila! Battery. I hope this helps.
Eh,Steve! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #8

California
Aerolite seven battery location

Hi, everyone.
I recently purchased a 1997 Aerolite Seven and was having the same problem locating the battery. After 3 days of searching I decided to open the screened panel under the stove where I found a small plastic box with a ventilation hose coming out of the top. I removed it and voila! Battery. I hope this helps.
Eh,Steve! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #9

Montana
Do 12V devices currently operate in the TT? Do the interior lights turn on when its not plugged into shore power? If not, the battery is either completely dead or missing altogether. If missing altogether, that will just make your search that much more difficult because you'll be looking for orphaned wires instead of a battery!

Looks like Eh,Steve! might have just found them for you, though!