Backup light wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #1

Florida
Backup light wiring

Hi,
I put in a DIY wireless backup camera that works great after I fixed the problem where the signal is trying to shoot through the trailer from the back. Total cost $75 excluding the $50 Fire Tablet display.

I have it wired into the running lights, which means it is on all the time at night. I can't find any backup lights on the back of this trailer which is, of course, necessary to make it a "true" backup camera. So today, I checked the current draw through the center terminal on the harness plug. Most diagrams show this as the backup light connector. Since I saw 0.00 amp current, am I correct in assuming nothing on the trailer is connected to this terminal ie, the trailer doesn't have backup lights at all?

jthendersonphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:00 AM   #2

California
Nothing on the trailer will be using the backup wire, if it didn’t come with a stock backup light. I had to run a new wire from the pinbox (it was the yellow in my case, it was coming from the truck to the pinbox, but not used by the trailer) all the way to the back bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Colorado
Camera lighting

Does the camera have it's own illumination
Eltejon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #4

Florida
It does not. I am thinking I could extend the backup circuit to the rear and mount some LED floods to the bumper. The harness wire comes into a junction box which **should** contain the yellow wire mentioned previously, so this might be an option. I could also wire the camera to that, but I kinda like the idea of having a rear view available while driving...
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Florida
I have a question on this topic. My 284BHSL is prewired for a backup camera. I bought a 'full time' rear view camera, but the feed is only powered when the tow vehicle is in reverse. I want to rewired it to a 'hot' lead. Would I do that in the box on the frame where the tow vehicle plug in wire connects to the trailer wiring? It's a 4 x 4 box where the lead from the truck is connected to the trailer wiring with 'wire nuts'. That seems most likely to me. Any body else done this?? Thanks
Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #6

Florida
I get power from the license plate light, which is live when the parking lights on the tow vehicle are active. There is nothing in the back that is "always on" as far as I know.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Florida
Yes, that's probably true. I will probably tie it into the running lights which means I'll have to have them on all the time (daytime too). Not a bad idea but would prefer to have a choice of on or off. Thanks

Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote