AC Electrical problem. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #1

Massachusetts
Red face AC Electrical problem.

I have a 2004 Dutchmen ultra lite LE . 27 FT BH Model.
Disconnected the AC extension cord. Connected six pronged plug into my truck receptacle and drove a quarter mile to set the electric brake . Returned , disconnected from the truck and reconnected the AC extension cord to the trailer. Now none of the AC plugs in the trailer work.
AC extension cord tests ok and has power.
Circuit breakers have all been reset . None of them had tripped .
I have power to the trailer receptacles but the default test doesn't work and they won't reset. also when I plug into these receptacles no power comes out. One default receptacle in the bathroom had a red light witch went out when I played with the test and reset buttons but still no power comes out when plugged into it. I plugged a tester into each receptacle and it indicated a crossed ground wire. All these receptacles were working properly before I unplugged the ac power cord, ran my electric brake test then plugged the AC cord back in again.
Does anyone know what the problem is here ?

popcorndms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

New Jersey
Everything worked, you moved the trailer, now it doesn't work. You've done all the logical trouble shooting. I would suspect something came lose when you moved the unit. I would check the wiring from where the shore power line enters up to the electrical distribution panel. Do you have 50 Amp service? If yes, that is essentially 2 separate 120 V legs. If none of your 120 V outlets work, I would suspect an issue with something that is common to both legs, i.e. the ground or possibly the neutral.

If you are not familiar with electrical circuits, I'd leave it to a professional. If it's under warranty, I'd take it back to the dealer.

One other thing, you mention it's an ultra lite, so I assume (always dangerous) that you don't have an on board generator. If by chance you have an on board generator, did you try firing it up, and see if you get power at the 120 V outlets? On board generator setups typically have an automatic transfer switch to transfer power from the shore feed to the generator feed, and back.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Thanks for the feed back. I don't have a generator and I found that the land extension cord was faulty witch probably caused a short and tripped the gfi in the bathroom. Odd thing is , I turned the breaker for that outlet off to replace it because my tester showed a ground, negative contradiction. I Shut all the breakers off including the main breaker and I still get power to the receptacles but a crossed ground,negative reading on the tester. Time to call a professional I guess. I've disconnected power to the trailer all together just to be safe. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndms View Post
Thanks for the feed back. I don't have a generator and I found that the land extension cord was faulty witch probably caused a short and tripped the gfi in the bathroom. Odd thing is , I turned the breaker for that outlet off to replace it because my tester showed a ground, negative contradiction. I Shut all the breakers off including the main breaker and I still get power to the receptacles but a crossed ground,negative reading on the tester. Time to call a professional I guess. I've disconnected power to the trailer all together just to be safe. Thanks for your input.
Please don't forget to let us know the outcome.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndms View Post
I take it that you connected without the bad extension cord. If you did then it at the receptacle where you are plugging in.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #6

Massachusetts
Ok, thanks everyone for your input. The end result was this.
The extension cord was the start of the problem. There was a short in the female end of the cord witch caused the ground fault receptacle in the bathroom to trip. This stopped the flow of electricity to the two other receptacles I thought had tripped . They had not. When I realized this had happened I wired a new female plug onto the cord. Problem was I crossed the neutral and hot wire connections . This prevented the electricity to flow through out the receptacle system . I should have done a continuity test before connecting the wires to make sure neutral was to neutral and hot was to hot. Thanks again for the input. Your suggestions led me to the area of the problem and I was able to solve it without a costly electrician bill.