6V vs 12V - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #1

Wyoming
6V vs 12V

I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything easily on the subject though I'm sure it has come up often before.

I need to replace my batteries and currently have two 6V Trojans 205 aH batteries.

I'm still confused as to why 6V batteries are better than 12V and since I only get 205 aH from the two 6V batteries would it not give me more battery power (life) if I went to higher aH 12V batteries that effectively doubles when you have two batteries?

Aaarrrrgh!

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #2

Oregon
What I found when I was researching this topic is that 6 volt deep cycle batteries will come with greater ah than 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Your 6 volt deep cycles only have on average 220 ah and you don't get any benefit in increased ah when you add a second battery you just get 12 volts. In comparison a 12 volt 24 group deep cycle battery will only have on average 85 ah but you get to ad 85 ah every time you add a 12 volt battery. Two batteries will get you 170 ah.

Now if you go with four 6 volt batteries you will end up with 440 ah compared to 4 12 volt batteries you will get 340 ah.

6 volts will cost a little more than 12 volt batteries. Also when I bought my batteries at Costco 12 volts had a 2 year warranty and 6 volts only had a 1 year warranty.

6 volts handle charge and discharge cycles better than 12 volt batteries.

For me my trailer was new and had one new 12 volt battery so I elected to buy 3 more 12 volt batteries for a total of 4.

If I had to do it again and start from scratch I would buy 4 6 volt batteries from Costco... They were just under $100 each the last time I looked there is a core charge of $15 per battery...

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Wyoming
Thanks! BTW, that's a nice set up you have for your batteries. Is that a key switch for turning the batteries off?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #4

Oregon
Yes it is. It's a simple battery disconnect switch purchased at the auto parts store or (amazon) for less than $12 connected between the batteries and the trailer. Turn this off and everything is dead in the trailer (except for a voltage meter I have wired directly to the batteries).
I can park my trailer for months without having to plug it in to charge the batteries.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #5

Illinois
They are big and heavy but get a 12 volt class D,, lots of cranking power. Construction and industrial equipment are the main uses and a lot of marine equip.
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #6

Alabama
It looks to me you have 4 six volts all tied in parallel
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 AM   #7

Ohio
6v batteries balance better

One reason for using 6V batteries is that you are guaranteed that exactly the same amount of current flows through both batteries. This ensures they age at the same rate. You can get the same benefit from 12V batteries in parallel if you use large enough cables and keep the terminals clean.
Leisure Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

Colorado
Is that a custom battery box? If not where did you find it?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

Oregon
I got the box at Harbor Freight. It will hold four 12 volt group 24 batteries. I vented the box. If you have batteries that have the handle on the ends you would have to trim that off the fit in the box.