6 volt or 12 volt...and other battery issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Idaho
6 volt or 12 volt...and other battery issues

Looks like I will have to replace my 12 volt batteries. When I do, wondering if I should go with 2-6 volts in series or 2-12 volts in parallel? If I go 6 volt, the only disadvantage (other than cost), is if one goes bad, then I only have 6 volts available, whereas if I stay with 12 volt, at least I'd have full (albeit reduced longevity) functionality.

So, what are the thoughts on this subject from others. How much extra longevity can I expect if I go 2-6 volts over 2-12 volts.

Whether I go with 6 or 12 volt, what should I look for in a battery? Deep cycle? CCA? Specific brand to go for (or avoid)? No maintenance, or gel cell, or regular maintenance?

I think I'll put some other general battery questions in a separate thread, so that will do for the purchasing issues. Thanks.

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

Nevada
My last unit I installed Optima 12volt batteries 2ea they lasted for more than 10 years always plugged in when I sold it batteries went with it. My new unit I installed two Optima batteries 12volt we will see what happens.
Blue top..

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Oklahoma
If you want a battery or batteries to use while camping stay far away from any battery that has a CCA listing or a MCCA listing. These are starter batteries designed to give the rated CCAs or MCCAs for a short period of time, usually seconds of time long enough to start an engine.

True deep cycle batteries that are used for extended use while camping won't have any CCA rating regardless of the sticker that syas it's deep cycle. True deep cycles will weigh in at over 60 pounds because they are full of lead, oops, I mean antimony.

If you want a true answer regarding 12 volt v 6 volt peruse one of the solar sites and find the appliance usage chart. The chart will help you determine how much capacity you'll need based upon your usage and ability to recharge the storage bank.

I built and lived in a solar powered house for 20 years and used 6 volt deep cycle batteries all those years. It all comes down to your consumption of available stored capacity.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote