6 volt golf cart batteries ?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #1

New Jersey
6 volt golf cart batteries ??

Camping world advertised 6 volt golf cart batteries for $135 they have 226 minutes Reserve cranking capacity at 25 amps.. This sounds like a pretty good deal. Any comments pro or con??

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Probably just fine if you don't mind the CW mark up on them. Costco or Sam's or a battery store should beat CW's price.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #3

Washington
Dont spent $135.00 x2 for 226 ah. for $141.00 x2 you can get Interstates GC2-RD-UTL 6-Volt Golf Car Battery with 415 ah.

Interstate Batteries Golf Detail Page - Interstate GC2-RD-UTL 6-Volt Golf Car Battery replacement battery
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 AM   #4

British Columbia
Pat,

There shouldn't be any Cold Cranking Amps on the label if it is a true Deep Cycle battery.

You don't want to crank anything, you just want to have a battery that will withstand repeated big discharge/charge cycle.

Anything showing CCA is a Marine Starting battery, it won't the same super duty plates that a true deep cycle will have.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #5

California
Hi Mac - that looked like a good price for 2, but it looks like that is per battery. I did find duracell titan replacements at batteries+ for $99 on sort of a permanent sale, and got 4 to build a mobile bat bank extension. Possibly 10% fewer AH than the others, but looked like a good deal.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Michigan
The Duracell's I am running are $84.52 at Sam's Club
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

New Jersey
Oops I should have typed reserve capacity.. Not reserve cranking capacity.. Don't know where the cranking came from except from habit...

Thanks to everyone for the advice.. Seems like I need to do a bit more homework.

Just went back and took a second look at the ad. Even though it shows a reserve capacity of 226 mins at 25 amps, its listed as a starting battery...

Wouldn't that translate to 3.76 hours at 25 amps times 2 batteries still giving me about 7.5 hours at 25 amps??

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
Hi Mac - that looked like a good price for 2, but it looks like that is per battery. I did find duracell titan replacements at batteries+ for $99 on sort of a permanent sale, and got 4 to build a mobile bat bank extension. Possibly 10% fewer AH than the others, but looked like a good deal.
Hey thanks!! I checked with a Batteries plus store nearby.. Found the batteries you referred to.. It looks like the kind of capacity I'm looking for at a good price and an even better warranty than
at Camping world..
I really like dealing with local merchants.. Been burned buying stuff online..

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
Correct but the UTL plates are 3 times the thickness as the ones your talking about.
So in simple terms, if those would last a year, the interstates will last three years, so a better buy overall.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #10

New Jersey
I pick them up next Saturday..
Now just have to order a second battery box and a couple of battery cables, Get it and the cut off switch installed and that part will be taken care of...

I expect that it will insure that we get heat all night and can run the tv and occasional water pump need to flush or rinse....

Thanks again and all the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
I pick them up next Saturday..
Now just have to order a second battery box and a couple of battery cables, Get it and the cut off switch installed and that part will be taken care of...

I expect that it will insure that we get heat all night and can run the tv and occasional water pump need to flush or rinse....

Thanks again and all the best.
Pat,

Now that you have taht settled, you need to start thinking conservation of other resources.

Think fresh water as your bank account, you don't want to take out more than you put in, That is until the last check you write bounces on the day you die.

You will be using lots of water that will wind up in the grey tank. Now if you keep some of it, like the dish water and use that to flush, your gaining interest on your bank account.

Took us awhile to figure it out, but now there is a five gallon bucket with a couple of gallons of flushing water in the shower. Now if you leave that bucket in the shower with the lid of, you get more interest.

About our only investment that pays off now days.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Pat,

Now that you have taht settled, you need to start thinking conservation of other resources.

Think fresh water as your bank account, you don't want to take out more than you put in, That is until the last check you write bounces on the day you die.

You will be using lots of water that will wind up in the grey tank. Now if you keep some of it, like the dish water and use that to flush, your gaining interest on your bank account.

Took us awhile to figure it out, but now there is a five gallon bucket with a couple of gallons of flushing water in the shower. Now if you leave that bucket in the shower with the lid of, you get more interest.

About our only investment that pays off now days.

Certainly cant argue with the state of our investments these days. With taxes and costs going up and savings/investment income all but halted, we'll either have to keep working or the Wife and I might end up having to sell the house and full timing to make ends meet!!

I read a number of posts regarding water use and have given conserving water some thought. Read one where someone installed a second water pump from the grey water tank just for toilet flushing.. That's a little more complicated than I want to get. The 5 gallon bucket in the shower is a great idea. Even
thought about collecting rain water coming off of the canopy.

Years ago, in our camper van, our water source was a 1/2 keg that held about 14 to 15 gallons of water. We used to freeze water in zip loc bags to keep items cold in our cooler and use that, when it thawed. Heck we could make it thru a weekend and still come home clean and fresh..

Hadn't thought about using the 5 gal bucket for #1 deposits. I assume that's the interest your referring to.. But I can also see using a small plastic basin for hand/face washing or a sponge bath and depositing that in the bucket, along with water left after boiling veggies etc. Filling unused space in the freezer with frozen water filled zip loc bags or water bottles would still work.

Half the fun of boondocking is coming up with creative solutions!!
Cant wait for spring to try it all out..

This looks like the start of a new thread..

Anyone can come up with complicated solutions, true genius is coming up with practical simple solutions!!!

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #13

New Jersey
I finally got two Duracell Ultra Battery for Deep Cycle 6V RV
SLIGC125 each with a 235ah 20 hour rating . Got them at Batteries Plus for $229 total with tax..

So if I understand it correctly they should be able to deliver 23.5 amps per hour for up to 20 hours.

Managed to squeeze a second battery box in place and with a couple of jumpers connected the batteries and a cut off switch got them all properly connected.

Photos follow, soon as it stops raining around here

It was hard finding battery boxes that fit so I ended up using the same size as the original, which is not quite tall enough for the new batteries, but will have to do until I can find a reasonable alternative, because of space limitations.

So that's done. Still gotta get the curtain track mounted so Barb can hang the curtain between the bed and kitchen area.
Gonna wait for a while on the dinette remodel..

All the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #14

Missouri
Quote:

So if I understand it correctly they should be able to deliver 23.5 amps per hour for up to 20 hours.
Nope..
235 Amps for 1 hour
23.5 Amps for 10 hours
11.75 Amps for 20 Hours

When you connect your 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 Volts, the AH rating stays the same.

I hope that this helps you understand.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Nope..
235 Amps for 1 hour
23.5 Amps for 10 hours
11.75 Amps for 20 Hours

When you connect your 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 Volts, the AH rating stays the same.

I hope that this helps you understand.
You're right, battery parallel connections double the current, while the voltage stays the same and series connections double the voltage, while the current stays the same. An hour is an hour either way.. Oops

We're just hoping its enough to run the furnace all night, with occasional use of water pump and a few hours of lights and tv..

Thanks and all the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #16

Montana
LOts of options on Amazon for the taller 6V GC battery boxes.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lt+battery+box

You should easily get through the nights with amp hours available. Now the next task is how to make sure they are being properly maintained to maximize performance.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
LOts of options on Amazon for the taller 6V GC battery boxes.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lt+battery+box

You should easily get through the nights with amp hours available. Now the next task is how to make sure they are being properly maintained to maximize performance.
Thanks for the advice. This is all pretty new to me.
For what its worth, it seems like I spent hours on amazon looking for battery boxes, but found that all the boxes that were tall enough for the 6 volt batteries, were too "long" for two to fit in the 23" space available.
The current set-up is temporary until I find a better solution.

Figured a few trips should help us decide how much boondocking we do. We might like it so much that I'll have to add a couple more batteries and a solar panel or two!!

As for maintenance I'm still reading about that.
Picked up some distilled water to top off the batteries as required, and plan on plugging in the TT for a few hours each month to keep them charged thru the winter..
They should get lots of use each thru the rest of the year.

I wanted to be sure that we at least have overnight capability if shore power is unavailable. The manual says that the furnace fan draws 11.1 amps. Assuming it runs, in the worst case half the time, it would have done my original battery in after about 9 hours, and that's without lights, water pump or other devices running.

Thanks again and All the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Ice chests make good battery boxes. I had 6 deep cycles in 32 quarter chest. They are impervious to battery acids, have a lid and are insulated.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. This is all pretty new to me.
For what its worth, it seems like I spent hours on amazon looking for battery boxes, but found that all the boxes that were tall enough for the 6 volt batteries, were too "long" for two to fit in the 23" space available.
The current set-up is temporary until I find a better solution.

Figured a few trips should help us decide how much boondocking we do. We might like it so much that I'll have to add a couple more batteries and a solar panel or two!!

As for maintenance I'm still reading about that.
Picked up some distilled water to top off the batteries as required, and plan on plugging in the TT for a few hours each month to keep them charged thru the winter..
They should get lots of use each thru the rest of the year.

I wanted to be sure that we at least have overnight capability if shore power is unavailable. The manual says that the furnace fan draws 11.1 amps. Assuming it runs, in the worst case half the time, it would have done my original battery in after about 9 hours, and that's without lights, water pump or other devices running.

Thanks again and All the best
I actually had to build my battery box out of plywood with trays inside in order to make it fit in the space available.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:33 AM   #20

California
I posted a pic and some things related to 6 & 12 in a thread in this same area just now about paralleling, and an auxilliary mobile box i made from 4x6Vs.

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote