During my second week on the road with my new 2014 Voltage 3950 I came home from church late Sunday night to find that I had no lights. My brand new generator would not run. I was plugged into 50 amp shore power. I was in Mississippi. I took off for CW in Little Rock, Arkansas at 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. I parked in their driveway about 4:00 a.m. Monday morning. At 8:00 a.m. they wanted me to leave it with them for two weeks to fix it. They were back logged that long. After much talking to sales people and service manager they agreed to work on it that day. They replaced the fuel pump for the generator and the converter. We discovered that my stereo, microwave and Dirt Devil would not work. With the lights and generator working I went back to Mississippi.
After two more months of trying to get everything working I ended up filing a claim with my insurance company and CW replaced the 3 broken appliances. The bill was over $3000 and I had to pay a $500 deductible.
After much research I am convinced that the guys that plugged my RV into the 50 amp shore power did so with all breakers turned on and there was a a few milliseconds where there was 240 Volts AC applied to one side of my breaker box and fried the electronics on that side of the circuit.
After that experience and much research I always test the 50 amp RV plug with my new tester I built and turn off the breaker before plugging in my 50 amp power cable.
During my research I found this 50 amp Outlet Tester
which inspired me to build my own tester.
Here is a picture of my tester which is 3 gang wide instead of the 2 gang like I found above.
Here is a sketch of the way it is wired. No doubt the link above is much clearer.
I hope my experience may keep some other poor soul from going through what I went through.