297re gfi - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #1

Georgia
297re gfi

I'm trying to determine if my trailer has more than one GFI outlet. The only one I can find is in the bathroom next to the sink. My problem is I've got now power to the exterior outlet. I've reset every breaker and pulled and put all fuses back in. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Kirk

KirkBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #2

Washington
Hi Kirk and welcome to the forum. You might pull the receptacle and see if a wire has come loose. Otherwise try and start at the outlet and start working your way back to the converter. Somewhere, somehow, something is loose or disconnected.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #3

Quebec
I've had a similar problem. I had lost 3 outlets that were not protected by the GFI. Ended up there was a loose wire in one of the breakers. Take your time and check everything. I also had a loose wire in the GFI itself.

2010 F-150 Lariat, 5.4L
2014 Kodiak 240 BHSL
gadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #4

Georgia
Thanks guys. I'm taking it out this weekend, so I guess I'll be tearing it apart in between football games
KirkBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

British Columbia
It would be interesting to know who trained the "electricians" that wire our campers.

Amazing that they all aren't burning down. The wiring practices used in campers, would be condemned in a stick built house.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
It would be interesting to know who trained the "electricians" that wire our campers.

Amazing that they all aren't burning down. The wiring practices used in campers, would be condemned in a stick built house.
At the risk of sounding like an "old fa_t," which I am, let me say a few words about today's youth. They did not learn electric circuits, electronics, or physics, as we did in high school of the 60's. They have no logic. (Spock was a humorous character to us in the 70's). Their school curricula has been too burdened with social studies.
I'm willing to bet none of these camper-assemblers could trace a hot wire from circuit breaker to load and return. I'm sure the concept of "ground" completely escapes them. They got their job on popularity, and do what they are told, blindly.
RVs and Campers are one of the few remaining American-built products. Based on the discussions here, the future is dim. They cannot, and will not even produce a wiring diagram of how they even PLANNED to build it. The manufacturers would like to find craftsmen in their own image, but our country no longer produces them.
Soon, they'll be built in China like everything else, and shipped over here.
Don't get me started!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
At the risk of sounding like an "old fa_t," which I am, let me say a few words about today's youth. They did not learn electric circuits, electronics, or physics, as we did in high school of the 60's. They have no logic. (Spock was a humorous character to us in the 70's). Their school curricula has been too burdened with social studies.
I'm willing to bet none of these camper-assemblers could trace a hot wire from circuit breaker to load and return. I'm sure the concept of "ground" completely escapes them. They got their job on popularity, and do what they are told, blindly.
RVs and Campers are one of the few remaining American-built products. Based on the discussions here, the future is dim. They cannot, and will not even produce a wiring diagram of how they even PLANNED to build it. The manufacturers would like to find craftsmen in their own image, but our country no longer produces them.
Soon, they'll be built in China like everything else, and shipped over here.
Don't get me started!
I have earned every grey whisker I got and damn proud of 'em. But the problem lies with the production methods used by Dutchmen and the rest of the short cut manufacturers.

The reason that there is a shortage of young people in skilled trades, is they are brain washed into believing that the only way to make it in life is to get a degree. I'm proud of my son, he didn't fall for the hype and went into a trade. He had been a journeyman for fifteen years when I retired. Fifteen years in the trade, he was making more than I was in a career that lasted 35 years in the same company, and his student loans were paid off in a year and a half. Seems tradesmen are worth more than people that us their brain.

Take a look on youtube for videos showing how these things get shoved down the line. There are those manufacturers that use actual wire harnesses, then there is the Dutchmen method.

Might be an improvement having campers made in China, then they would have to comply with North American standards, not just say they do.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Back to the problem at hand...

Your outside power outlet SHOULD be downline from the GFCI in the bathroom, along with any power outlet that is next to a sink aka kitchen counter area. That is code, are they wired that way? Who knows.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Back to the problem at hand...

Your outside power outlet SHOULD be downline from the GFCI in the bathroom, along with any power outlet that is next to a sink aka kitchen counter area. That is code, are they wired that way? Who knows.

Aaron
CODE?????? In an RV? I'd need to see where any code is applicable.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Read NFPA-70 (NEC)

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Read NFPA-70 (NEC)
RVIA too... which uses NEC/NFPA/ANSI etc. Now how many manufacturers adhere to those standards?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

California
I have another breaker in the kitchen and the only way I found it, was to do the slide out and it was behind the cabinet.