15amp Main Breaker on 30amp Trailer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #1

California
15amp Main Breaker on 30amp Trailer

Anytime I run the AC and the Fridge, the Main Breaker pops (with nothing else on.) The weird thing is that the Main Breaker is 15amp. Shouldn't it be a 30amp breaker for a 30amp trailer? Here are pics of my breakers. I would really like to be able to run the AC and the Fridge at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

alwayscharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #2

Wyoming
The electrical gurus will probably chime in to answer this better, and in more detail that I can.. but the 2 have very little to do with each other.

Your rig has 30-amp service for the entire rig. But there are various different circuits in your rig... and the circuit that at least one of these appliances is on is only rated for 15 amps, and something is overloading that.

Now I doubt both the AC and the fridge are both running on this circuit simultaneously, unless they may have been possibly wired wrong from the factory. Is this rig new.. and if so, has it always done that since purchase?

If not, then either something else has got to be running on the same circuit, or... the start-up power necessary to get the AC compressor going is probably the culprit. AC compressors require a big draw to start up, but then don't require as much to continue running. To test this theory... turn off the fridge, start the AC up & get it running... then power-up your fridge again. If both continue to run, then that may be the issue... which can possibly be solved by installing a "soft-start" kit on the AC. But I'd get a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion on that before investing in it.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:15 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Good advise above.

Please post make and model of RV for better advice.
Post make and model of breaker panel or photo for better advice.

A 30 amp shore power system must have a 30 amp 120 volt main circuit breaker. There will be additional branch circuit breakers. An air conditioner must have its own branch breaker. No other appliance can be connected to that branch breaker.

Residential style compressor refrigerators tend to require their own branch breaker as well.

An absorption refrigerator, like a compressor refer tends to need its own breaker, but it does not spike high current when it turns "on". Often other low power appliances or 120 volt outlets are combined with it.

Both microwave and electric water heater require dedicated branch breakers. Most 120 volt outlets are grouped together on one or two breakers.

If there is an inverter, that complicates things, but the above basically remains true.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:39 PM   #4

Florida
Paul is correct. The converter would possibly be the only thing that would have a 15 amp breaker since everything on that would be twelve volts. The main breaker on the panel would be 30 amp and, remember, there is only one 120 volt circuit and a total of 30 amps so you would need to be careful about what you are running at once. Microwave, water heater, AC, and coffee pot would be a little much.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:56 PM   #5

North Carolina
Picture of breaker box would be helpful
Witt84z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15amp, 30amp, air conditioner, main breaker, refrigerator