12V Outlet Has No Power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Arizona
12V Outlet Has No Power

Getting the trailer ready for the big trip this year so I bought a new television that is 12V native with built-in DVD player. Installed it today and discovered that the 12V plug behind it is dead. No power at all. The 12V plug in the bedroom has 12.4V and works perfectly. In checking the fuses at the WFCO Model WF-8955PEC converter I noticed that one of the 12V fuse slots has the red LED next to it on continuously. That slot is not labeled as any particular device just as 15 amp Option 2. Does the red LED indicate a short, or any other malfunction? I did put a meter across the pins and it showed 12V, however, when I install a fuse it blows immediately. I am assuming a short, or loose/missing ground, somewhere in that circuit. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #2

New Jersey
Is this the 12 V plug in the main TV area with the booster for the TV antenna? If yes, does the light come on when you turn the antenna booster on? If not, I'd pull those plate(s) off, and see if anything is shorting. There tends to be a rats nest of wires back there, easy to short something. I'd try replacing the fuse with the plate removed, and see if it blows. If not, you know where to look.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #3

Nevada
The red light means a fuse is burned open. Replace that fuse then recheck.
While the fuse open I would see if one of the wires is shorted.
A place to start.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

Arizona
Thanks for the info you guys. I have taken the wall plate off and there were no apparent shorts there. I have disconnected the wire from the fuse panel and the LED went out, hope that means it was a short. I am going to remove the converter box and try to run new wiring to the TV and hope that fixes the problem. Does this sound reasonable?
RichH
Old 07-31-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
Thanks for the info you guys. I have taken the wall plate off and there were no apparent shorts there. I have disconnected the wire from the fuse panel and the LED went out, hope that means it was a short. I am going to remove the converter box and try to run new wiring to the TV and hope that fixes the problem. Does this sound reasonable?
RichH
It is reasonable if there is a short in the wall, which it very well may be. A staple through the wire, or whatever. But first, disconnect the 12V power lead at the antenna booster box. Just unscrew the two screws, and pull the assembly out. Most of the connections are coax, but you will see a 12V connector, and perhaps a ground wire. Disconnect that wire and try replacing the fuse. If it blows then, it is surely in the wall. But if it doesn't, it might just be a failed booster amp. (added afterwards, in edit) Then again, you don't know how many taps are on that 12V wire. Does the propane sensor work? The fridge? All lights? Stove hood fan? Radio? There is probably more to this circuit than a straight wire to the booster amp.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
It is reasonable if there is a short in the wall, which it very well may be. A staple through the wire, or whatever. But first, disconnect the 12V power lead at the antenna booster box. Just unscrew the two screws, and pull the assembly out. Most of the connections are coax, but you will see a 12V connector, and perhaps a ground wire. Disconnect that wire and try replacing the fuse. If it blows then, it is surely in the wall. But if it doesn't, it might just be a failed booster amp. (added afterwards, in edit) Then again, you don't know how many taps are on that 12V wire. Does the propane sensor work? The fridge? All lights? Stove hood fan? Radio? There is probably more to this circuit than a straight wire to the booster amp.
I have done exactly as you suggested and the fuse does blow. Fortunately, or possibly amazingly, everything else in the trailer works perfectly, including the 12V outlet that is only 4' away in the bedroom. I actually considered tapping off that outlet to power the TV but now it has become a challenge I can't back away from.

My converter is only about 7' away from the outlet and I can see wiring behind a cover under the dinette bench and am assuming that the TV wire is among them. Being in Mesa, AZ, my time to work on this issue is limited to a few hours every morning. Tomorrow i pull the converter and try to chase the existing wires if that makes sense. I really appreciate the advice.
RichH
Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #7

Arizona
So, went to the trailer this morning and pulled the fuse panel and was pleasantly surprised to find a reasonably well organized group of wires. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to fish a new wire from there to the TV. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to tap into the other 12V outlet and run a new wire from there. Should be pretty simple. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.
RichH
Old 08-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #8

Arizona
So, had time to rewire the outlet this weekend. Tapped into the other TV outlet in the bedroom. Wasn't too bad a job and now I have power for the main TV and my signal booster. Thans for the advice and supoort.
RichH
Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks for the update, far too often we never hear how things turn out.
Good job.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote