12v 6000 watt Inverter - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #21

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Possible cause:
US 230 volt 50 amp has 4 wires. They are L1, L2, Neutral, and Ground. According to the Aims installation instructions, the neutral shore power input wire is not connected in split phase models. It is left unconnected.

If you plug the shore power cord into the generator, the generator neutral may not be connected to the Aims. A volt meter may show spurious voltages in systems with an open wire. I did not see instructions for wiring this case. The generator neutral must be connected to the generator/(shore power cord) ground to work with the Aims.

If you have a transfer switch as shown in the Aims Manual, the transfer switch should connect generator neutral to ground causing the Aims to work properly. Some transfer switches can be configured to either ground or not ground the neutral when a generator is connected.
OK, I kinda follow you. Right now the neutral wire is not connected to the inverter as show in the disgram I posted. So your saying I need to disconnect the neutral inside the transfer switch that comes from the gen and connect it to the ground from the gen?

Everything if your first paragraph is correct about my current setup. Thanks alot for the reply.

campincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #22

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by campincaptain View Post
OK, I kinda follow you. Right now the neutral wire is not connected to the inverter as show in the disgram I posted. So your saying I need to disconnect the neutral inside the transfer switch that comes from the gen and connect it to the ground from the gen?

Everything if your first paragraph is correct about my current setup. Thanks alot for the reply.
No, do not disconnect the generator neutral in the transfer switch. Sorry for the confusion. The transfer switch probably manages the generator ground and neutral properly. The post was meant to suggest that if you were not using a transfer switch, there may be a problem with grounding.

Instructions for the transfer switch may tell how the generator ground is managed. You want the ground and neutral connected only when the generator is supplying power. You do not want them connected when shore power is connected to a campground pedestal or home pedestal.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #23

Florida
Quote:

be careful, the neutral is a current carrying wire.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #24

Tennessee
How is it that an inverter producing 33 amps can't do what my 2 little generators easily do with under 30 amps?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #25

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
How is it that an inverter producing 33 amps can't do what my 2 little generators easily do with under 30 amps?
The Aims inverter/charger has a self diagnostic system. It may have indicated why it shut down. I don't know what it may have indicated.

I am just guessing, but it may have shut down due to low 12 volt input voltage. Low voltage may be due to several issues.
Battery bank not able to deliver.
  • Cables between batteries or between battery bank and inverter inadequate,
  • Connecters not crimped or crimped and soldered correctly.
  • Disconnect Switch in circuit not adequate.
  • Too many connections in the 12 volt supply circuit.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

Tennessee
I wonder if a micro-air easy start would have helped, a lot cheaper option than replacing the inverter.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #27

Kentucky
Quote:
Because when we turned on the microwave after the AC was on it dropped the battery voltage below the shutoff level. So the inverter shut off as soon as we started the microwave. Enough AMPS but not voltage in reserve.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #28

Kentucky
Quote:
I wonder if a micro-air easy start would have helped, a lot cheaper option than replacing the inverter.
WE have 2 that we are going to put on in a week or so.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #29

Kentucky
Quote:
Possible cause:
US 230 volt 50 amp has 4 wires. They are L1, L2, Neutral, and Ground. According to the Aims installation instructions, the neutral shore power input wire is not connected in split phase models. It is left unconnected.

If you plug the shore power cord into the generator, the generator neutral may not be connected to the Aims. A volt meter may show spurious voltages in systems with an open wire. I did not see instructions for wiring this case. The generator neutral must be connected to the generator/(shore power cord) ground to work with the Aims.

If you have a transfer switch as shown in the Aims Manual, the transfer switch should connect generator neutral to ground causing the Aims to work properly. Some transfer switches can be configured to either ground or not ground the neutral when a generator is connected.
So right now the neutral wire that comes from the transfer switch going to the AC input on the AIMS inverter is not connected to anything. It is connected in the transfer switch of course. Both the Gen and Shore wiring have a L1, L2, neutral and ground connected inside the transfer switch. I know the diagram does not make sense so that maybe where I am confused. The diagram states to not connect the neutral wire coming out of the transfer switch to anything. Can you explain to me again where I should connect it? Shore power works great. With shore power the inverter will switch to charging mode, rv will see shore power and the inverter will charge the battery bank. When we start the gen the rv will recognize the gen but will not switch to gen power through the inverter. The inverter will not switch to charging mode and stay on inverter mode. Is this due to the neutral wire?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #30

Kentucky
Quote:
The Aims inverter/charger has a self diagnostic system. It may have indicated why it shut down. I don't know what it may have indicated.

I am just guessing, but it may have shut down due to low 12 volt input voltage. Low voltage may be due to several issues.
Battery bank not able to deliver.
  • Cables between batteries or between battery bank and inverter inadequate,
  • Connecters not crimped or crimped and soldered correctly.
  • Disconnect Switch in circuit not adequate.
  • Too many connections in the 12 volt supply circuit.
Correct, low voltage shut off
Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #31

Wisconsin
Quote:
So right now the neutral wire that comes from the transfer switch going to the AC input on the AIMS inverter is not connected to anything. It is connected in the transfer switch of course. Both the Gen and Shore wiring have a L1, L2, neutral and ground connected inside the transfer switch. I know the diagram does not make sense so that maybe where I am confused. The diagram states to not connect the neutral wire coming out of the transfer switch to anything. Can you explain to me again where I should connect it? Shore power works great. With shore power the inverter will switch to charging mode, rv will see shore power and the inverter will charge the battery bank. When we start the gen the rv will recognize the gen but will not switch to gen power through the inverter. The inverter will not switch to charging mode and stay on inverter mode. Is this due to the neutral wire?
My previous suggestion about the floating neutral when on generator does not apply if you have a transfer switch that grounds the neutral from the generator. In this case you should not connect the neutral wire in the cable that goes to the inverter/charger to anything just like the wiring diagram shows.

The key to this is the transfer switch ahead of the inverter/charger grounds the generator neutral when switched to generator input. By doing so, the neutral is no longer floating. It is properly grounded.

Shore power works great because the shore neutral and ground are connected inside the pedestal or at the pedestal central service entrance.

The only thing you should do is verify that the main transfer switch ahead of the inverter/charger does ground the generator neutral when it switches to generator input.

Sorry, tried to make a wiring diagram here, but it did not work.