Unraveling of America - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 12:53 AM   #1

British Columbia
Unraveling of America

A popular essay for you consideration that is generating a lot of discussion.

Submitted with the utmost respect to my fellow Canadians and my American Friends

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...davis-1038206/

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #2

California
Interesting essay for sure. But clearly was stacked with points that support the author’s conclusion that America is coming apart, as any organized essay will do. However, I had to check the date when I started reading as one of the first points is makes is that the fastest vaccine ever approved took 4 years and it further goes on to say that many doubt that a vaccine will even be effective. The author doesn’t acknowledge that several companies are currently in late state trials and a vaccine will likely be approved in a few months (not years). I think he is choosing to ignore some pretty relevant information here.

Unfortunately we live in a world where everything is now politicized and the first thing you have to do when reading the news these days is to check the source.

I guess anybody can write a critical essay on anything but I find it a little funny that a Canadian would pen such a critical essay on his southern neighbor and publish it in an American magazine. But then again the vast majority of publications and news in this country is critical of Trump and the Republican Party so not really that surprising.

As a side note Foreign Direct Investment is still over $100 B higher in the US than the next closet country which is China by the way and ($250B versus $140B) and China is dropping fast. And while I don’t have the numbers and couldn’t easily find them I bet Canadian investment in the US is far greater than anywhere else they invest in the world. Despite its host of problems the US is still the safe haven for international investment and is generally the market that everyone wants to sell their products.

@OP, I don’t have any issue with you linking to the article and personally I have no issues with Canada but personally I don’t think I could write an article so critical of a country and then have it published there by a Canadian owned company. But then again I am clearly not a journalist either. [emoji3].

Let’s hope we can get Covid-19 behind us sooner than later. I for one look forward to talking about and planning RV trips and seeking the forum for answers about fixing all the things that will surely break in my trailer! With an election in November I fear the politicized news and media is only going to get way worse—that is for sure and I have had enough of this already!

Old 08-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #3

Arizona
I stopped reading at the 3rd paragraph. Too inaccurate to continue.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 AM   #4

British Columbia
azdryheat...your quite correct over 165,000 COVID-19 covid related Deaths.
Up 1,334.
Not 150,000.

Confirmed Cases
5.2M
+54,443

I truly wish the figures were inaccurate.

My sympathies to the families who have lost a loved one.

B kind,B safe,B careful, wash your hands, wear a mask,keep your distance.
Canada
Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 AM   #5

British Columbia
Dsol...great comments. The author is a Canadian /American. He is a naturalized American.

With respect your comment of Foreign Direct Investment is still over $100 B higher.... is small in comparison with over 165 deaths and over 5 million confirmed Covid-19 cases in the USA.

Money isn’t everything when you don’t have your health.

I miss my friend called the USA.
Canada
Old 08-13-2020, 04:49 AM   #6

California
@cooper, I am not going to argue the value of human lives versus money—that is ridiculous. My point was this author who you have pointed out is a naturalized American citizen still lives in Canada and still is awfully critical of the US and implies it could be several years before there is a vaccine, while certainly possible it is still highly unlikely and conventional wisdom, with several vaccines currently in trials a vaccine approval will likely occur before the end of this year. He also points out that nobody knows how long the immunity might last even if it works. I think this fits his narrative.

My point on the investment down here is that America is still the marketplace that all countries seem to want to invest in despite all of its shortfalls. Keep in mind it is the other countries that I point out are putting their investments in the US not that we are prioritizing money over human lives or health.

There are some 350M living down here and millions that are complete jerks no doubt but also millions of wonderful people doing everything they can to make things better and safer for the world. I am proud of the scientists down here that are developing a vaccine and everything we will do to help the world.

Still a great country as far as I am concerned. Always room to improve no doubt but I am still proud and glad to be a citizen.

Sorry you lost your friend down here. I hope you can patch things up again.