The Trip from Hell! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

South Carolina
The Trip from Hell!

We took our brand new Kodiak on the first trip from SC to Arkansas. Maybe that was too much for the first trip. maybe..........

First off we hit the snow storm between Georgia and Alabama. Ughh
No fun but we were able to find a rest stop for the evening. The
Cleburne Welcome Center on I-20 West bound just past the Georgia border. The staff was helpful and available all night! Unfortumately for the rest of the folks they had a power failure. No bathrooms for the weary. We were of course ok in our RV.

We spent the next night in Tupelo, MS.

From there it went downhill.

We came within seconds of being crushed in a crash between two 18 wheelers. In the right land lane, being passed on the left by one truck. I look in the right right hand mirror. There is another truck barreling down the entrance ramp. He was not there just seconds ago. I have no where to go and no option but to brake. The right hand truck passes us at least 20 mph faster than I am going. he runs out of entrance ramp and shoulder. He is in the dirt, fishtailing and throwing up dirt and debris. The tail end of his trailer missed us by feet! He charges ahead and tries to run another car off the road ahead of him. That car may have been the real target of his road rage.

I am a bit rattled! I slow down and pull over at the next exit. Take a break. End up on a side road and have to make a u-turn at an abandoned gas station. And there I accidentally bump the side of the RV into a gas pump bumper. I am still rattled! In my 53 years of driving, I have never had an accident. UGHHH

We move on.

On our return trip thru Georgia a Pick Up Truck pulling an RV. Tries to run me off the road on I-20! I end up more than half way on the shoulder before his trailer passes me.

WTF! What could I have done to deserve that??

Give me the finger, blow your horn. But to risk everyone's life??

We made it home safely.

Anyone want to buy an RV

The picture is of the offending driver as he sped away.

Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays to all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017121595163341-1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4593

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Well see, A holes are everywhere so don't let that run you off. Pulling an RV takes a little skill, unfortunately not every RV owner has that skill. As long as the thing is following them it's all ok in their head.

OTR drivers are a new breed these days. Not like before when they were courteous and cautious. Now it's the me and my big truck attitude that rolls down the highways.

I20, it's a nightmare at the best of times.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Florida
I installed a dash cam in my truck. just sayin!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

Tennessee
Kinda sounds like most of my trips, just gotta be alert and try to always have a way out. I'm not going to make excuses for otr drivers, BUT, in 2017 with most drivers actively texting and watching videos on their phones while driving provides a level of stress that not many of us can imagine. These guys are in constant danger of running over some dope not paying attention while driving 80mph on a freeway.

I'm so glad I did my big truck driving before cell phones were around.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I installed a dash cam in my truck. just sayin!
I am working on a Dash Cam as we speak, also a rear view cam that is on permanently and records.

Of course evidence is a small benefit if your not around.

Have fun.

Bill
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Well see, A holes are everywhere so don't let that run you off. Pulling an RV takes a little skill, unfortunately not every RV owner has that skill. As long as the thing is following them it's all ok in their head.

OTR drivers are a new breed these days. Not like before when they were courteous and cautious. Now it's the me and my big truck attitude that rolls down the highways.

I20, it's a nightmare at the best of times.
It is impossible to know for sure of course. At first I thought maybe he forgot he is towing a trailer???? But them hey, you are passing a trailer! How can you forget. So, he had to be drunk, high or just an A hole....huh.

You are correct about most OTR drivers today. They used to be the "saviors" on the road. Helping people with flat tires and other emergencies.

The last time I listened to CB radio I was amazed at the idiocy on the air. The attitude was us against them. Them being "four wheelers" That has been a while ago. I'm sure it did not get any better.

Have fun
Bill
Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Kinda sounds like most of my trips, just gotta be alert and try to always have a way out. I'm not going to make excuses for otr drivers, BUT, in 2017 with most drivers actively texting and watching videos on their phones while driving provides a level of stress that not many of us can imagine. These guys are in constant danger of running over some dope not paying attention while driving 80mph on a freeway.

I'm so glad I did my big truck driving before cell phones were around.
Yep, there are enough idiots in cars, PU and big rigs for sure. I have always prided myself in giving 100% of my attention to the road. One reason I have never had an accident in my previous 53 years.

Here is hoping my luck holds out next trip!

Have fun
Bill
Old 12-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #8

Florida
These days you have o drive for 2 people, yourself and #2 the other driver. Glad you got thru ok. Good luck and Happy Camping
Old 12-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
These days you have o drive for 2 people, yourself and #2 the other driver. Glad you got thru ok. Good luck and Happy Camping
So true and thanks.
Enjoy and have fun.

Bill
Old 12-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #10

Oregon
I would not let one bad experience get you down. I have only been towing RV's for 15 years and I have not had a bad day yet, even on one trip when I had to go into the hospital to have my appendix removed.

Give it another shot. Watch the weather before you go, no point in heading out during a storm. Check the road conditions before you head out. Have a check list and go over your tow rig and trailer to make sure if there is a problem you can take care of it before you get on the road. Be a defensive driver, leave plenty of distance between you and the crazies. Have an escape plan.

Pick a place a little closer to home just to get your grove on before taking a more adventurous trip.

Good luck!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I would not let one bad experience get you down. I have only been towing RV's for 15 years and I have not had a bad day yet, even on one trip when I had to go into the hospital to have my appendix removed.

Give it another shot. Watch the weather before you go, no point in heading out during a storm. Check the road conditions before you head out. Have a check list and go over your tow rig and trailer to make sure if there is a problem you can take care of it before you get on the road. Be a defensive driver, leave plenty of distance between you and the crazies. Have an escape plan.

Pick a place a little closer to home just to get your grove on before taking a more adventurous trip.

Good luck!
Thanks, We will be going on some short trips soon.

Not giving up! Just had me rattled some. I thought I was past the risky business life style hahaha

Have a great Holiday!