Covid19: Alaska through Canada - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #21

British Columbia
New Zealand declaring the nation virus-free

Congratulations New Zealand.

Even though it’s a smaller island nation. With the right leadership and with the will of the people COVID-19 can be controlled and be free from this disease.

Taken from the BBC.

“New Zealand has lifted almost all of its coronavirus restrictions after reporting no active cases in the country.
At midnight local time (12:00 GMT), all of New Zealand moved to level one, the lowest of a four-tier alert system.
Under new rules, social distancing is not required and there are no limits on public gatherings, but borders remain closed to foreigners.
New Zealand has reported no new Covid-19 cases for more than two weeks.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told reporters she did "a little dance" when she was told the country no longer had any active virus cases.
"While we're in a safer, stronger position, there's still no easy path back to pre-Covid life, but the determination and focus we have had on our health response will now be vested in our economic rebuild," Ms Ardern said.
"While the job is not done, there is no denying this is a milestone. So can I finish with a very simple, 'Thank you, New Zealand'."

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:41 AM   #22

British Columbia
Florida Snowbirds

I offer this with the deepest respect to our southern neighbours.

For any Floridians who have similar thoughts as azdryheat regarding Canadian Snowbirds wintering in Florida. Here is an excerpt from the National Post article.

https://nationalpost.com/

Kelly McParland: Florida's COVID surge may forebode chilling news for snowbirds

“DeSantis is likely in too deep to backtrack now, which is bad news for Canadian snowbirds. If the governor wants to keep out seasonal migrants, his biggest success may come with Canadians. That’s about $6.5 billion in lost revenue for Florida, and upwards of $700 million in tax revenue. That’s a lot of lost trips to Disney World.

• Twitter: KellyMcParland“

Another financial hit to the American economy if the USA don’t get there act together regarding Covid-19.

B kind,B careful,B safe, wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a mask.

Canada
Old 07-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #23

Florida
I've never had an issue with Snow Birds. Some folks object to the fact that they come down here and we get minimal revenue from them. Sales taxes only basically. I'm thinking about doing the same thing but in reverse. Going NORTH in the summer and returning here in the winter
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #24

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I'm thinking about doing the same thing but in reverse. Going NORTH in the summer and returning here in the winter
That's what I've been doing the past 3 years... Snowbird in Arizona during the winter, then reverse-snowbird up here in Wyoming and/or Montana during the summer. Works out great!

Oh, btw,,, it's a pleasant 73 degrees, and no humidity up here today. Weather Channel says you folks in the south & southwest are in for some record heat. Hope y'all don't spontaneously burst into flames over the next few days.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
That's what I've been doing the past 3 years... Snowbird in Arizona during the winter, then reverse-snowbird up here in Wyoming and/or Montana during the summer. Works out great!

Oh, btw,,, it's a pleasant 73 degrees, and no humidity up here today. Weather Channel says you folks in the south & southwest are in for some record heat. Hope y'all don't spontaneously burst into flames over the next few days.
It's miserable here and I have been working outside... plenty of beer er,,, fluids!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #26

British Columbia
Don’t let COVID steal our summer

From Dr. Bonnie Henry.... British Columbia’s Cheif Medical Officer.
B Kind,B Safe,B careful,Wash your hands,wear a mask,keep your distance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9940132-D788-457E-BF06-716B30039FA3.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6398  
Canada
Old 07-20-2020, 05:44 AM   #27

British Columbia
From Keith Baldrey

Keith Baldrey Twitter Account
@keithbaldrey
Political journalist for Global TV, British Columbia. Syndicated newspaper columnist for Glacier Media. Commentator on CKNW radio

I've come to the conclusion I may never visit the United States again. And I love the United States. So many great places to see, such history, great geography (I adore the southwest). But #COVID19 has exposed the country as a very dangerous place to visit, likely for many years.
Canada
Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #28

Arizona
Let's just say I'm a skeptic about how I'm supposed to live my life with this virus. Fauci and the CDC have been proven wrong on most of their policies. To steal a phrase - My body, my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108936418_3098203440268427_782914628572391528_n.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	6399  
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #29

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Let's just say I'm a skeptic about how I'm supposed to live my life with this virus. Fauci and the CDC have been proven wrong on most of their policies. To steal a phrase - My body, my choice.
You are quite right, go ahead and NOT wear a mask. The mask protects US, nobody really cares if you get sick but if you are around anyone, they may care since you will probably give it to them.

By the way, the Bahamas just banned AMERICANS from traveling there.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #30

Wyoming
We all have our thoughts & opinions on the matter. Like most issues, there are extreme positions on both sides... and common ground can usually be found somewhere in the middle if there's an effort to do so.

All reward in life has risk... and we all decide how much of that risk we're willing to accept each day.

On the riskier side, some of us skydive or bungee jump off of bridges. Some of us ride motorcycles, with minimal protection against injury when things go wrong. And even though hundreds of people die every day in common auto accidents... the majority of us rarely think twice about getting into our cars, and heading out each day.

To me, it comes down to a basic question: Am I afraid to die... or am I afraid to live? Personally, I feel many are afraid of the latter.

Continuing... I personally think some of the things being advocated and/or enforced are simply to make us FEEL like we're being protected, regardless of whether they really are or not. It kinda reminds me of the way things were after 9-11.

Question: What's worse than no security at all?

Answer: A false sense of security!!

At least when you know there's no security, you're more watchful & cautious yourself... knowing that you need to provide for it yourself. BUT, when you have a false sense of security... although you still have none, your guard is let down.

As someone who was in the aviation industry, working in NY during & after 9-11, I saw the epitome of this. The same baggage screeners who were working on that day, are the same ones who were working 3 months later... only now in a new uniform while working for a new employer, and with a few more mostly ineffective new rules.

You can't carry a 3-inch folding pocket knife on a plane, but can carry a 5-inch ball-point pen... and I can kill you just as effectively with either.

The aviation schools across the country still rely on foreign students for over 50% of their income... the majority from countries of African or southwest Asian origin. It's cheaper for them to come over and live & train here than back home, because there aren't many options there.

Back to masks vs. no mask... hell, I don't pretend to know whether they REALLY do any good. But with everybody jumping in to make them now, I can't believe that they're all that effective.

At first were we told that only a certain type would do any good. Then, when they became hard to get, they changed the tune to say that any mask is ok. And THAT'S when I threw the BS flag.

Bottom line... this is what I believe:

Do what you feel you must to protect yourself, but... please don't mistake your right to believe & protect yourself as you will as a requirement for me to have & follow those same beliefs.

If that means you dont go to restaurants, even though they may be open... fine. If it means that you only go to grocery stores & other places that require patrons to wear masks (as those companies have a right to do)... again, fine. I've got no problem with any of that. Just kindly respect that I have the same rights to go out & about in places without one... and to avoid those establishments who do require their use, if that's my wish.

Or maybe put another way... if you feel the need to stay in isolation because some of us prefer to actually not be afraid to live, then that's your issue, and that's ok. There are also people who don't drive because they prefer not to risk death on the highway, and that's ok too.

Again, it all comes down to how much risk each of us is willing to take in our lives. Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #31

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
We all have our thoughts & opinions on the matter. Like most issues, there are extreme positions on both sides... and common ground can usually be found somewhere in the middle if there's an effort to do so.

All reward in life has risk... and we all decide how much of that risk we're willing to accept each day.

On the riskier side, some of us skydive or bungee jump off of bridges. Some of us ride motorcycles, with minimal protection against injury when things go wrong. And even though hundreds of people die every day in common auto accidents... the majority of us rarely think twice about getting into our cars, and heading out each day.

To me, it comes down to a basic question: Am I afraid to die... or am I afraid to live? Personally, I feel many are afraid of the latter.

Continuing... I personally think some of the things being advocated and/or enforced are simply to make us FEEL like we're being protected, regardless of whether they really are or not. It kinda reminds me of the way things were after 9-11.

Question: What's worse than no security at all?

Answer: A false sense of security!!

At least when you know there's no security, you're more watchful & cautious yourself... knowing that you need to provide for it yourself. BUT, when you have a false sense of security... although you still have none, your guard is let down.

As someone who was in the aviation industry, working in NY during & after 9-11, I saw the epitome of this. The same baggage screeners who were working on that day, are the same ones who were working 3 months later... only now in a new uniform while working for a new employer, and with a few more mostly ineffective new rules.

You can't carry a 3-inch folding pocket knife on a plane, but can carry a 5-inch ball-point pen... and I can kill you just as effectively with either.

The aviation schools across the country still rely on foreign students for over 50% of their income... the majority from countries of African or southwest Asian origin. It's cheaper for them to come over and live & train here than back home, because there aren't many options there.

Back to masks vs. no mask... hell, I don't pretend to know whether they REALLY do any good. But with everybody jumping in to make them now, I can't believe that they're all that effective.

At first were we told that only a certain type would do any good. Then, when they became hard to get, they changed the tune to say that any mask is ok. And THAT'S when I threw the BS flag.

Bottom line... this is what I believe:

Do what you feel you must to protect yourself, but... please don't mistake your right to believe & protect yourself as you will as a requirement for me to have & follow those same beliefs.

If that means you dont go to restaurants, even though they may be open... fine. If it means that you only go to grocery stores & other places that require patrons to wear masks (as those companies have a right to do)... again, fine. I've got no problem with any of that. Just kindly respect that I have the same rights to go out & about in places without one... and to avoid those establishments who do require their use, if that's my wish.

Or maybe put another way... if you feel the need to stay in isolation because some of us prefer to actually not be afraid to live, then that's your issue, and that's ok. There are also people who don't drive because they prefer not to risk death on the highway, and that's ok too.

Again, it all comes down to how much risk each of us is willing to take in our lives. Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Tom. You hit the nail(s) on the head on all points.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #32

Florida
Dear Tom. I value your opinion. I appreciate all the help and advice you have given me and others on this forum. I also commend you for your service. A ATC has probably one of the most difficult jobs on the planet, days spent in darkness (approach) sometimes guiding aircraft, large and small to one of many airports you would be responsible for or days (or nights) spent in the tower watching and guiding aircraft. you are/were responsible for the lives of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of souls during your tenure as a controller.

That being said, humanity is calling you to duty one more time. Wear a mask for the good of those souls around you. Maintain social distancing. Cover your mouth with something when you cough or sneeze. Wash your hands regularly, disinfect when you leave a store.

I agree that there are some "masks" that are mere nothings. I purchased KN95 and PM2.5 stuff in order to somewhat protect me, my wife and the souls of those around me. You could do the same right now for humanity. In this moment of crisis, they really need your buy-in and participation.

Frank
Old 07-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #33

Florida
PS: not sure if you subscribe to the creative writing talents of Kayleigh McEnany and the rest of the federal government folks or not but follow what you think the scientist are saying rather than what the government seems to be touting in places. You are free to make up your own mind.

Be safe.

frank
Old 07-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post

I don’t think the boxcar reference is in anyway appropriate here. Please don’t try and compare people who’s intentions are good and believe wearing a mask can help you—and more importantly others (even if it might not help), to Nazi’s forcing human beings at gun point into boxcars to be murdered.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #35

British Columbia
The US is on the brink of 500,000 virus deaths

What more can one say.
Please remember those in your prayers.
Canada
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #36

Connecticut
The fact that they still can't get enough N95 masks to meet demand shows how incompetent the capitalist government is and what a failure the capitalist free market system is. Can't produce enough because the profits are better investing in market manipulations like GameStock.

kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote