Winterizing question? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Ontario
Winterizing question?

Since this is the first time winterizing an RV with A/C I was wondering if I should cover the rooftop A/C unit? With the amount of snow that we get in central Ontario it would cover the A/C unit and when it melts in the spring it seems like a spot where water could enter my unit. Does anyone have any advise?

Also, I blew out the lines with a compressor and added RV antifreeze to the toilet and all p traps. Should I leave the faucets open or closed?

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

South Carolina
I'd say leave the faucets open. One place where I got a little damage last year was water in the shower hose going to the shower head. Unscrew that, and drain anything in there. Sounds like you're doing fine! I'll defer to others on the AC... ours is wall-mounted.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
Since this is the first time winterizing an RV with A/C I was wondering if I should cover the rooftop A/C unit? With the amount of snow that we get in central Ontario it would cover the A/C unit and when it melts in the spring it seems like a spot where water could enter my unit. Does anyone have any advise?

Also, I blew out the lines with a compressor and added RV antifreeze to the toilet and all p traps. Should I leave the faucets open or closed?
We all have different conditions that we deal with during the winter. It sounds like you have a concern over the amount of snow that might pack into your AC shroud. If so I'd cover it up. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
It certainly won't hurt to cover the AC unit(s). They shouldn't leak, but with today's current crop of poorly engineered crap who knows.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
I've always covered my AC for the winter just for the peace of mind that things aren't blowing up and inside the unit. Last year when I winterized my Kodiak I almost forgot to do the outside shower. The day after winterizing the trailer I walked by the shower and remembered that it needed to be done. Not sure what your snow fall levels are like but for the past few years we have been getting plenty. I've started to lift my trailer up onto 4X4's so the tires and springs don't have to hold up the trailer and additional snow.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

Arizona
Don't forget to drain your hot water heater. Faucets should be open. Personally after living in Alaska for thirty years we always covered the roofs and ac units. We also had to remove excess snow and ice a couple of times each winter which frequently meant replacing some of the sewer vents and an occasional roof vent, because you can't see them through the tarp or cover, and they don't like a snow shovel.

2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins with edge juice with attitude
2013 Can Am Commander 1000XT

havasujim is offline   Reply With Quote