What type of exterior sealant? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #1

British Columbia
What type of exterior sealant?

What type of sealant does dutchman use around trims, outlets, lights.

It looks to be silicone, but isn't that basically a no no in the rv world?

I want to reseal the entire exterior of my 2018 kodiak 186e. If dutchman did use silicone doesn't it have to be all removed before I can reapply? What would be the best method for doing this?

Zerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Florida
I worked on one of my lights yesterday and yes, silicone was used by Dutchmen. It stuck pretty well to the trailer body but not to the light and I was getting some water behind the light. I used the putty when I put it back on so the back would be fully waterproof. On the roof, you want to use DICOR or something like it. It seems they used silicone around some of the more insignificant items but, I prefer to use dicor or EternaBond products for anything I add.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I worked on one of my lights yesterday and yes, silicone was used by Dutchmen. It stuck pretty well to the trailer body but not to the light and I was getting some water behind the light. I used the putty when I put it back on so the back would be fully waterproof. On the roof, you want to use DICOR or something like it. It seems they used silicone around some of the more insignificant items but, I prefer to use dicor or EternaBond products for anything I add.
Oh I definitely would use eternabond and dicor for the roof, my main concern at this point is lights and corner seals. Why the hell would they use silicone?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerograv View Post
Oh I definitely would use eternabond and dicor for the roof, my main concern at this point is lights and corner seals. Why the hell would they use silicone?
Because they are idiots and it is cheap?

It may be Geocel Proflex which looks similar to silicone but is an isobutylene polymer (whatever the hell THAT is!)

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Because they are idiots and it is cheap?

It may be Geocel Proflex which looks similar to silicone but is an isobutylene polymer (whatever the hell THAT is!)

Aaron
I doubt its proflex. Had a translucent look to it rather than clear which was my first clue as to it being silicone. I've been super happy with the trailer and this is more a preventative maintenance thing but what a pain in the ass. You cant even apply more silicone without needing to remove the old.

Mineral spirits and a plastic putty knife are by best bet I assume?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I doubt its proflex. Had a translucent look to it rather than clear which was my first clue as to it being silicone. I've been super happy with the trailer and this is more a preventative maintenance thing but what a pain in the ass. You cant even apply more silicone without needing to remove the old.

Mineral spirits and a plastic putty knife are by best bet I assume?
Plastic and wooden scrapers, they make silicone remover, to the best of my knowledge nothing else will touch it. If there is ANY traces left nothing will adhere to it.

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7

British Columbia
I contacted dutchman they said it is definitely silicone. I asked why in hell would they do that and they said they cant comment on it and advised me to take it to the nearest dealer lol.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
I contacted dutchman they said it is definitely silicone. I asked why in hell would they do that and they said they cant comment on it and advised me to take it to the nearest dealer lol.

They can't comment because they don't want you to know the blind installers use the odor to know where they're slathering it all over the place
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
They can't comment because they don't want you to know the blind installers use the odor to know where they're slathering it all over the place
at least they go home happy!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
at least they go home happy!

Slapping each other on the back, walking out of the plant and laughing about the poor sap that buys that unit.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #11

Wyoming
I took a sealant course from our dealer. They use pro-flex or sica-flex sealant on walls and around the windows. Scrape all the old sealant off and wipe with white gas. We were specifically told not to use mineral spirits though I do not remember the reason.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Sealant

I used the Dow 795. I think it’s urethane. It has 50% movement or stretch if you will.
Lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #13

Florida
Sealant

When we first got our voltage home after first rain we noticed water around the inside windows I scraped it out and cleaned it with alcohol I used the same as a good friend used on his new toyhauler considering he is a airframe and power plant mechanic it is momentive rtv108 adhesive sealant then I resealed all hatches and doors I didn't want the dealer messing with it even though it was under warranty water is the killer on these. Have a great day
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #14

New Jersey
Sealant

I found that some of the silicone sealant on the two front corners of the roof of my rv didn't look good. It was where the seal strip that runs vertically up the exterior front corners meets the roof. To match the color I used some black colored DAP extra flexible exterior silicone and it seems to be the same stuff that Dutchman used.
While I didn't have a leak, I wanted to make sure it stayed that way. I don't see why it wouldn't work..

Is there some problem with silicone sealant that I should know?
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #15

Wyoming
In my sealant course we were told never to use silicone as it doesn't adhere completely to any surface and water can penetrate under it. It's used in the residential market mainly due to price and marketing. There are much better sealants out there.

One consideration that was explained to us was that you need to consider what it is like for your RV to travel down a highway in a rainstorm. If you are traveling into the wind you add the windspeed to your speed and it is exactly like your RV is in a hurricane! Your sealants actually begin to peel off which is why you need to use the best products available and expect to redo them every couple of years.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #16

Tennessee
My dealer told me to never use EternaBond on the roof seals. I’m wondering why?

I am thinking that I want to permanently deal the seams and EternaBond looks to be the right stuff.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #17

Wyoming
Dicor Lap Seal is the best stuff for membrane roofs.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
My dealer told me to never use EternaBond on the roof seals. I’m wondering why?

I am thinking that I want to permanently deal the seams and EternaBond looks to be the right stuff.
Because once you install it you ain't getting it off!

It works and works well, almost too well...

It works great for seam sealing, edge sealing and around the various vents.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
In my sealant course we were told never to use silicone as it doesn't adhere completely to any surface and water can penetrate under it. It's used in the residential market mainly due to price and marketing. There are much better sealants out there.

One consideration that was explained to us was that you need to consider what it is like for your RV to travel down a highway in a rainstorm. If you are traveling into the wind you add the windspeed to your speed and it is exactly like your RV is in a hurricane! Your sealants actually begin to peel off which is why you need to use the best products available and expect to redo them every couple of years.
The other problem(s) with silicone is that once you use it getting the residue off is all but impossible and nothing else will stick to it. Devil's invention!

I have had to remove way too much of it while doing a restoration on a Vintage Airstream.

Aaron