We were evacuated - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #1

California
We were evacuated

In the middle of June we decided to load our Kodiak and go camping through the fourth of July at Canyon Creek Resort, Solano County CA.

By the third of July the campground was packed. We planned on pulling out on the 5th. Well, we did, but not the way we planned it.

At 1:00 a.m. on July 5th we woke to someone pounding on our trailer door. It was a fireman. "You are being evacuated. The mountain is burning and will be reaching this area within the next half hour."

We looked outside and the mountain was on fire and the fire was definitely heading in our direction.

People began to panic. They were pulling their rigs out with the hoses and sewer still attached. They left chairs, rugs and one didn't take the time to pull their awning in. We looked at the fire, buttoned down the trailer, put our dogs, computers and personal items in our truck and left.

Two days later we were allowed to get back into the canyon to get our trailer. Oh my! It was covered in that pink fire retardant and the fire had burned within 20 feet of our propane tanks.

We hooked up and pulled our trailer home. We washed off all of the pink stuff. No smoke was able to get inside. WE were blessed there.

The next morning we hooked up again and took our trailer to Affordable RV to have our electrical problem fixed and they checked out our roof to make sure that no embers burned any part of the roof. It was clean!

I don't believe I have ever seen the kind of panic I had seen that night. That is one thing that will get people hurt. I hope that anyone reading this won't have to ever experience being evacuated away from your rig. It is frightening. Even though we have insurance, we didn't want to come back to a shell.

birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #2

British Columbia
That is a great lesson, thanks for sharing it.

We're keeping our eyes on our forest fire situation here in BC. We have the camper ready to go if we have to.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #3

California
Oh, I so hope you stay safe. We were not told about the fire until we were being evacuated. I hope you get out before it gets too close.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote