Water Pressure Regulators - Do you use one? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

Louisiana
Water Pressure Regulators - Do you use one?

I have a couple water pressure regulators, both of which previous campers left for me as a gift. One is marked "45 psi" and the other "30-45 psi". However, I find when I use them the water pressure in the camper is very low - like barely get the soap off of you in the shower low. Water flows very well when not using a regulator, so I tend to not use one at all, but I'm concerned about the lines blowing out at the fittings and flooding the RV. If you use one, which one do you use and do you know of any that safely regulate the water while still allowing for generous flow?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #2

South Carolina
Hmm, I've never NOT used one, but our shower is pretty weak. Next time out I'll go crazy and try it. Some sites I've seen recommend it; I guess they know their pressure is high.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #3

Texas
I've never used one... but I boondock most the time. In many of the campgrounds I do visit (usually on holiday weekends) I fill the fresh tank so I can have water when everyone else is bleeding the pressure down. I always shut off the water supply if I leave the trailer, both city or pump.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
My old Airstream manual said 45 PSI max, I've gone with that since day one.

Check you faucet screens and the sediment filter, they get clogged up fairly easily and that results in a drop in flow.

For the shower you can do one of 2 things, remove the flow restrictor or swap out the shower head for an Oxygenics, one of the first things I changed and it seems like your showering with a lot more pressure.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #5

Arizona
I use one but usually after asking the camp host about the water pressure as I don't want to blow any water lines.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
My old Airstream manual said 45 PSI max, I've gone with that since day one.

Check you faucet screens and the sediment filter, they get clogged up fairly easily and that results in a drop in flow.

For the shower you can do one of 2 things, remove the flow restrictor or swap out the shower head for an Oxygenics, one of the first things I changed and it seems like your showering with a lot more pressure.
I agree with checking the faucet screens. On my new 3600, I had to clean them several times before they stayed clean.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #7

Louisiana
I've already checked the screens (actually a few times) but I really think its the regulator choking the pressure down. If it were the screens were clogged I would think the pressure would be just as week without the regulator inline.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #8

Virginia
I just ordered an adjustable reg with a pressure gage. I have been using an inline one with a pressure gage and I have notice the regulator has been restricting flow by a few pounds even though it is less that the regulated pressure. My hope is to be able to adjust the psi a bit and dial it in a bit better than preset regulators
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I've never used one... but I boondock most the time. In many of the campgrounds I do visit (usually on holiday weekends) I fill the fresh tank so I can have water when everyone else is bleeding the pressure down. I always shut off the water supply if I leave the trailer, both city or pump.
That's a good idea… I've never done that but sometimes we're gone for a 8 hours at a time… never know what could happen in that time.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had problems by not using a regulator. I've always used one because I was told to but I've never heard of any horror stories from anyone that hadn't.

Just curious.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
I have seen more than one RV spouting water from strange places when someone hooked up to high pressure water and blew apart a few fittings. Usually someone out on their first or second trip and pretty clueless.

I carry two water pressure regulators with me at all times. I don't buy the super fancy ones, I am prone to leaving them behind. (part of the reason for carrying two).

Interestingly enough some units have them built in... like my 1975 Airstream! Eventually I may consider installing one on the Coleman, or maybe not.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have seen more than one RV spouting water from strange places when someone hooked up to high pressure water and blew apart a few fittings. Usually someone out on their first or second trip and pretty clueless.

I carry two water pressure regulators with me at all times. I don't buy the super fancy ones, I am prone to leaving them behind. (part of the reason for carrying two).

Interestingly enough some units have them built in... like my 1975 Airstream! Eventually I may consider installing one on the Coleman, or maybe not.

Aaron

One thing I don't do is leave mine behind because I hook it to the other end of the hose… that way I know the worst thing I can do is blow out the hose but I'll never leave it behind. No fear of leaving it attached to the faucet end.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
I have had one hose fail, probably because it was old or cheap or both came back to a flooded campsite, not a real issue but pretty messy and the owners weren't too happy either.

I honestly think the best bet is a properly installed onboard one. But they cost money and the bean counters rule...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #13

Colorado
Just remember something, it's not all about pressure, it is also about flow, some of the simple pressure regulators out there will also knock down flow rate. They do make adjustable regulators with guages as stated above, they also make those in a high flow model. And unless you are in a full hook up site I wouldn't want to get max flow. I would also not recommend hooking up without some protection. Spend the money to protect your investment.

As far as water pressure goes, I believe my lines are tested up to 100 PSI but it is recommened to stay between 45 and 60. I keep mine set around the 50-55 range.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have had one hose fail, probably because it was old or cheap or both came back to a flooded campsite, not a real issue but pretty messy and the owners weren't too happy either.

I honestly think the best bet is a properly installed onboard one. But they cost money and the bean counters rule...

Aaron
Be glad the weak link was the hose, not your camper. As to the owners, well maybe they ought to invest in a system pressure regulator.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #15

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
Just remember something, it's not all about pressure, it is also about flow, some of the simple pressure regulators out there will also knock down flow rate. They do make adjustable regulators with guages as stated above, they also make those in a high flow model. And unless you are in a full hook up site I wouldn't want to get max flow. I would also not recommend hooking up without some protection. Spend the money to protect your investment.

As far as water pressure goes, I believe my lines are tested up to 100 PSI but it is recommened to stay between 45 and 60. I keep mine set around the 50-55 range.

Where did you find the regulator in the picture?

Edit: never mind, I found it here.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #16

Colorado
Here is a pretty informative You Tube video.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Here is a pretty informative You Tube video.

Good video reference! We just stayed at a NEW military travel park, with all the hookups. What was MADDENING was that the water tap was at the bottom of the pedestal, leaving no room for a tee, (we use a tee so we have an outdoor hose for washing, among other things, the stinky-slinky), or the regulator, or even the non-kink 5-inch end of my water hose. I had to use the tee, tilt it so only one side faced up, then the hose, then put the regulator between the hose and the camper.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #18

Colorado
I know what you mean, stayed at a place that kept their water spout extremely low. So know I keep an extra one of these on board. I use one on my city water hook up to keep the strain off the hose and an extra one for the situation as you described.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-24-2014, 04:48 AM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
I know what you mean, stayed at a place that kept their water spout extremely low. So know I keep an extra one of these on board. I use one on my city water hook up to keep the strain off the hose and an extra one for the situation as you described.
Great call, Hazerdous! I've seen these, always thought of them for the camper side, but now see how useful it would be on the spigot side. I'll pick one up! Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #20

California
Most TT from what I'm told comes with psi regulators. If yours does not have one amazon has great deals. If ours didn't come with one I would buy there, especially you can tell from customer reviews how well it works...or not. According to our friends that are seasoned RVers, a psi regulator is a must. They explained to me in a very basic way what might happen without one. Not so good if there are 50 RV's in the park then next day only 10, what happens to the water pressure? If u have a psi regulator hooked up u will never have to worry, other wise you may end up with busted tubing & leaks in your RV. So just to be on the safe side I would say have one. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote