Water Pressure Regulator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Arizona
Water Pressure Regulator

I am using a Camo RV Water Pressure Regulator. I attach it at the faucet as most people do. I also have a plastic regulator the dealer so generously thru in the bucket of crap that came with the trailer. Both are 40-50 PSI regulators and the water flow is just terrible. I have much more water running my 12 volt pump. I have checked and cleaned the faucet screens.

Does anyone know of a better regulator. I see on Amazon they have adjustable ones, stainless high flow ones etc.

Just wondering it anyone one the forum has found something that works better than the 40-50 PSI regulator.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #2

Texas
Along the same line, anyone know how much pressure the plumbing can handle on these voltage series? We tend to use the pump vice city hookup due to the higher pressure output as well.

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Along the same line, anyone know how much pressure the plumbing can handle on these voltage series? We tend to use the pump vice city hookup due to the higher pressure output as well.
Same here! I prefer to use the pump as pressure is better. But sometimes the city water is something I do not want in my fresh water tank.

Today I ordered High Flow Pressure Regulator and a separate Pressure Gauge. I will be testing on Friday.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #4

Wyoming
Interesting question for which I have no answer. I will follow this thread.
As for what pressure the RV can take it's important to recognize that the pex pipe and fittings are the same as in your house. Where a failure could occur is the faucets. They aren't the best of quality. The piping should easily handle 75 psi.
I'm thinking, though not sure, but the higher pressure may not be good for the hot water tank either. I have a brass regulator but don't know the brand. My city pressure is not fantastic but not irritatingly slow either.
In all but one park (Gardiner, MT) we never had any high water pressure to worry about from the park system. The one place we did, the park management clearly advertised that a regulator was required as their pressure was around 100 psi if memory serves. It was at the bottom of a steep hill with the water mains at the top so lots of head.

Funny, I have a pressure gauge but never thought to take it to measure park pressure to decide if I even needed the regulator.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Does anyone know of a better regulator. I see on Amazon they have adjustable ones, stainless high flow ones etc.

Just wondering it anyone one the forum has found something that works better than the 40-50 PSI regulator.
I have been using the Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator for the past 5-6 months. I don't put it on the city faucet because of the friction loss in the hose and I'm more app to forget it and leave it for someone else. I leave it attached in the bay with a quick connect because I setup and move every week or so. I set it for 50-60 pounds of pressure.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
I had low water pressure in only my kitchen tap. I use a regulator as the water enters the trailer so decided to pull my kitchen tap apart where I found a small plastic insert with a very small hole drilled into it. Removed it and now I have lots of water pressure.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Oklahoma
The running label on PEX pipe says, 1/2'' 160psi @73F or 100psi @180F. Crimps would be engineered to work with these values.

City water pressure is normally 40 or so psi. The demand pumps will create 40 to 55 psi, depending on the pump model.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

Wyoming
A couple thoughts for everyone.

The regulator should be on the park tap, not your RV. The most vulnerable portion of your system is the water hose itself. Over time it will bulge and blister from excessive pressure. They will fail at high pressure and Murphy's Law will dictate that that will happen in the middle of the night.

City water pressure is NOT normally 40 psi. That totally depends on your city and where in your city you are. There are many factors that affect water pressure. City water pressure can be anywhere from 90 psi to 20. Ask any landscaper who installs irrigation systems about that as they work all around the city and have to know what the pressure is where they are installing the system. (personal experience)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Something else that you might consider. I opened the wall next to my water panel for another job, and I discovered that the city water connection hose was a short piece of flex hose, and was kinked around one of the pex lines. After disconnecting and rerouting the flex line away from the pex line, I did notice a better flow from my faucets. Something that you might check if you have low flow. BTW mine is not spectacular, but it is acceptable. I also run a 40psi brass regulator for my city connection, and I think it does restrict it a bit.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #10

Texas
I would be more than happy if i could get the same pressure on city water as i get thru the pump. I believe the solution is an adjustable regulator with guage. Waiting to get feed back from Arian.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:23 AM   #11

Arizona
I received the new water pressure regulator and the pressure gauge this afternoon. This is what I found out. With the new pressure regulator I have the same water flow as with my pump.

The accuracy of the gauge is questionable. The gauge tells me my home water pressure is about 70 psi but that varies between 65 and 80 psi depending. Depending on what. Really nothing. Sometimes it says 70 psi some times 80 psi other time a little less, so the gauge is .

The regulator I was using and getting low pressure was not a Camco as I stated, but a Valterra 40-50 psi regulator and it reads around 40 psi on the crap gauge.

The new regulator is a Valterra 50-55 psi High Flow Regulator and it reads about 55 psi.

Again, with the new regulator I can not tell a difference when I turn the pump on compared to the city water connection.

Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1114VP High Flow Stainless Steel Water Regulator: Automotive

I guess I'll be a happy camper if I don't blow something.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #12

Wyoming
Don't be too quick to judge your gauge. Pressure in your home can fluctuate that much. It has to do with demand on the system. When everyone gets up in the morning and jumps in the shower the pressure will drop. You'll also see a drop during commercial breaks during major TV shows and sports broadcasts!
Do you have a PRV on your house? I doubt it as most PRV's are set for about 55 psi. This would account for your fluctuating water pressure.