Water heater function - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Virginia
Water heater function

Hello. De-winterizing for the first time today. I'm attaching a video and pic that shows some flame in what I'm calling the flue (upper left), is this normal? I've never had the access door open while heating water so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks, Brian

https://imgur.com/a/zwqCWjv

bls82261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Yep, not good combustion at all. I think I would check the orifice and the air intake for bugs or webs.
There shouldn't be any flame up there in the exhaust port. Additionally, the burner flame should be a nice hot blue color.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

Virginia
I've blown out the tube and tried to adjust the air intake. Nothing seems to change it. I even tried to block the slots with my hand and no change. Is it possible that the brass fitting coming out of the valve is clogged? If so, is there a way to remove and clean it? It seems to me that it is gas starved and burning lean. I just filled the bottles and the stove is burning fine.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

Virginia
Thanks Sundancer. I took the screws out of the bracket that holds the tube and looked inside, sure enough, some kind of cocoon in there. Cleaned it out and now I have blue flame and hot water.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Good deal, cheap fix!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
I've blown out the tube and tried to adjust the air intake. Nothing seems to change it. I even tried to block the slots with my hand and no change. Is it possible that the brass fitting coming out of the valve is clogged? If so, is there a way to remove and clean it? It seems to me that it is gas starved and burning lean. I just filled the bottles and the stove is burning fine.

The stove will always work fine when the water heater and refrigerator won't. The only indication the stoves gives when it burns is there is propane present. But you know that now.......
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
Thanks Sundancer. I took the screws out of the bracket that holds the tube and looked inside, sure enough, some kind of cocoon in there. Cleaned it out and now I have blue flame and hot water.

You might want to invest in a screen for the heater and furnace. Critters, especially mud daubers like to build their huts in those secret places.