Washington State Use Tax Extortion! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 AM   #1

Washington
Washington State Use Tax Extortion!

Let me preface this post....this is a RANT! I realize there are numerous other ways to register an RV in a state in which I do not keep my primary residence, but I began this week trying to do the right thing in my new state of Washington.

Here's my story: Two years ago, I purchased a Voltage in Iowa while living outside Denver, CO. I registered it in CO and paid the Sales Tax, Titling and Licensing fees there to the tune of $3200.

I just relocated to Washington State and went to re-title and register the trailer. They want to charge me the difference between the state taxes (in the form of a Use Tax) on either a) the original purchase price of the vehicle, and credit me for the original Sales Tax paid in CO or b) at the full 9% Use Tax rate for Washington on the depreciated value of the trailer. The WILL NOT simply charge me the difference between CO and WA tax rates on the depreciated value of the vehicle.

This is over $3k in re-registration fees for either scenario a) or b)!! I may as well have purchased this thing in WA state to begin with. But I didn't! Ugh! #dmvisaracket

Old 06-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #2

Arizona
Is it too late to leave WA? or Don't register it in WA. Keep the CO plates. Who'd know? or Go down to your local (in WA) cannabis store, light up a fat one, and write the check, lol.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
...or Go down to your local (in WA) cannabis store, light up a fat one, and write the check, lol.
Where's the LIKE button?!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Wyoming
Not for nothing, and I know it's a hard pill to swallow... but I'm pretty sure most states are similar in that regard. The only way it works to one's benefit is if going to a lower tax-rate state as I did when reregistering vehicles from NY to NC.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Not for nothing, and I know it's a hard pill to swallow... but I'm pretty sure most states are similar in that regard. The only way it works to one's benefit is if going to a lower tax-rate state as I did when reregistering vehicles from NY to NC.

Since this is a rant.......
SC $500 maximum tax on TT.
Come on down!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #6

Colorado
You know, with what's gone on in nearly every state in the Union...taxes have been reduced...and now none of the states have the money do to what needs to be done. Here in Colorado there are now "fees" on dang near everything. Like it or not...

Now one thing you can do that's cheating. My Dad had four different types of trailer. So he licensed the cheapest one and just moved that plate from trailer to trailer as needed. Saved him a bunch of $$.

Ever been stopped and asked for the registration on a trailer? Me neither. But mine are all licensed and prohibitive costs...so I'm legal. But beginning to wonder why I do it???

Just thoughts...

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:32 AM   #7

Washington
Send me your address.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #8

Washington
So I finally got through to someone in Olympia at the State Capitol Dept of Revenue. We walked through the law as written and, as it turns out, I am correct in suggesting the use taxe for the Voltage should be assessed agains the value of the trailer as first used in the state of WA (a heavily depreciated value after 2 years of ownership) AND I am to receive full credit for the taxes paid against the original purchase from titling and licensing previously in CO.
Went from over $3k to less tha $1k. Still a lot of money but it was amazing to see how state employees misinterpret the law (or selectively omit parts of it). I doubt it is ill-intended. Likely just ignorance.
Anyway, it pays to ask questions and see the actual language of the law.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
You know, with what's gone on in nearly every state in the Union...taxes have been reduced...and now none of the states have the money do to what needs to be done. Here in Colorado there are now "fees" on dang near everything. Like it or not...

Now one thing you can do that's cheating. My Dad had four different types of trailer. So he licensed the cheapest one and just moved that plate from trailer to trailer as needed. Saved him a bunch of $$.

Ever been stopped and asked for the registration on a trailer? Me neither. But mine are all licensed and prohibitive costs...so I'm legal. But beginning to wonder why I do it???

Just thoughts...

Pirate
I used to do the same. As of the past 10 years living where I do, there are way too many asshats on the road and my concern became what happens when one of them causes an accident and I am found without a properly registered trailer. The only nice thing here is that you pay one time for a lifetime trailer tag based on trailer weight. My voltage was $300 for a lifetime tag.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
So I finally got through to someone in Olympia at the State Capitol Dept of Revenue. We walked through the law as written and, as it turns out, I am correct in suggesting the use taxe for the Voltage should be assessed agains the value of the trailer as first used in the state of WA (a heavily depreciated value after 2 years of ownership) AND I am to receive full credit for the taxes paid against the original purchase from titling and licensing previously in CO.
Went from over $3k to less tha $1k. Still a lot of money but it was amazing to see how state employees misinterpret the law (or selectively omit parts of it). I doubt it is ill-intended. Likely just ignorance.
That's great! I guess it really pays to rant on this forum (pun intended).
Now if we could just solve the biggest rant that keeps occurring on this forum......... Dutchmen's quality........
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
I'm from the "gubment" I'm here to help you. :-)

Congrats!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
That's great! I guess it really pays to rant on this forum (pun intended).

Now if we could just solve the biggest rant that keeps occurring on this forum......... Dutchmen's quality........

I wonder what would happen if we all descended on them enmass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #13

Florida
Well, you get what you pay for and Washington is a great state. They don't get much better. Paradise ain't free !!
Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 AM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Let me preface this post....this is a RANT! I realize there are numerous other ways to register an RV in a state in which I do not keep my primary residence, but I began this week trying to do the right thing in my new state of Washington.

Here's my story: Two years ago, I purchased a Voltage in Iowa while living outside Denver, CO. I registered it in CO and paid the Sales Tax, Titling and Licensing fees there to the tune of $3200.

I just relocated to Washington State and went to re-title and register the trailer. They want to charge me the difference between the state taxes (in the form of a Use Tax) on either a) the original purchase price of the vehicle, and credit me for the original Sales Tax paid in CO or b) at the full 9% Use Tax rate for Washington on the depreciated value of the trailer. The WILL NOT simply charge me the difference between CO and WA tax rates on the depreciated value of the vehicle.

This is over $3k in re-registration fees for either scenario a) or b)!! I may as well have purchased this thing in WA state to begin with. But I didn't! Ugh! #dmvisaracket
Welcome to the "Peoples Republik of Washington" the PRoW, is out to take as much money out of your pocket as it can, just because we don't have a State income tax don't get your hopes up there is a fee for darn near everything, to include a weight fee of 25 bucks on our motorcycle plates.

Dave
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 AM   #15

Arkansas
The state police of numerous states have reminded me that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." And the law, or in this case, stealing your money by means of the law, is not my chosen career.