Warranty Question and Full Time Living - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Georgia
Warranty Question and Full Time Living

Hey Owners!

Sorry to throw out an odd sort of question as my first post but I just left Camping World after dropping off our brand new 2020 5th wheel for warranty work after our first 7 day trip and got the shock of my lifetime.

Per the service department, our manufacturers warranty is voided if we use the 5th wheel as full timers.... Has anyone else ever heard this? The Camping World service writer was also pretty sure it voided our Good Sams Extended coverage warranty.

Thanks! Hopefully my next post will be great news!!!
Andrew

rvl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

Wyoming
It's a grey area...

Most manufacturers build these rigs as "recreational" vehicles... to be used for "recreation". Ergo, if you're living in it full-time, it's not being used as intended.

There are models that are built as either "extended use" or "full-time"... and are usually designated as such in their promotional marketing (websites, brochures, etc).

As such, if you volunteer info that indicates that you are using your vehicle full-time... you can expect some blowback on warranty claims on those models which are built as "recreational".

Who would win in court? Who knows... but you'll spend lots of money trying to find out.

By the way... same thing applies to your RV insurance.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

Florida
gosh, anything to void the warranty and not fix anything. But really, a brand new unit and after a seven day trip????
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Florida
warranty coverage

Maybe the full time camper should consult an attorney who would sue them for several things. They might wake up those builders that are offering those worthless warranties.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #5

California
There are thousands of us!

When are we going to get together and stop being ripped off, put on danger, and get subpar manufactured RVs!

Isn't one of us a attorney or know a attorney. Once we start a class action suit there will be a flood of RVs that will join!

Ask the guy next to you right now and I bet everyone you ask will join . Everyone has been ripped off by the manufactueres, the dealers, the repair companies, and the extended warranty people.

If you know a attorney let me know!
jusbranton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #6

Michigan
I just read the Forest River warranty, and it makes no mention of full time use. The only exemption is for rental or commercial use. Also I'll repeat what someone else said, why would you tell them you are a full timer?
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

Arizona
Only you can determine if you live in it full time. Is the dealership or manufacturer going to hire someone to follow you around to see how many days you spend in it? Even if you are on the road and need service you could just be on an extended trip. A very extended trip. A good motto is "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies."

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #8

Illinois
So, let me get this straight. You go on a 7 day trip with the RV, which it's intended purpose is to live in while traveling, and they won't warranty it because you lived in it all that time?

Yeah they would be getting a piece of my mind for sure. Where are you supposed to live during those 7 days?
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvl250 View Post
Hey Owners!

Sorry to throw out an odd sort of question as my first post but I just left Camping World after dropping off our brand new 2020 5th wheel for warranty work after our first 7 day trip and got the shock of my lifetime.

Per the service department, our manufacturers warranty is voided if we use the 5th wheel as full timers.... Has anyone else ever heard this? The Camping World service writer was also pretty sure it voided our Good Sams Extended coverage warranty.

Thanks! Hopefully my next post will be great news!!!
Andrew

Since it is brand new and you have only used it for one trip of seven days. They did not actually void your warranty did they??

I am thinking they are sharing information?

Lesson learned though. Don't share too much

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
...Also I'll repeat what someone else said, why would you tell them you are a full timer?
Well, when the service guy/gal at the dealership says...

"Ok, well, we're swamped right now... but leave it with us and we'll find out what it needs, order parts, and then get to it whenever they come in."

... it doesn't leave you much choice. Because if you do that, they damn-sure won't be in any hurry to address your issue, and you won't have a place to live for God-knows how long.

When you live in your rig full-time, you need to be able to schedule your major maintenance issues... so that, even if you have to stay in a hotel a few days, it won't be for an indefinite amount of time that can break your bank.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well, when the service guy/gal at the dealership says...

"Ok, well, we're swamped right now... but leave it with us and we'll find out what it needs, order parts, and then get to it whenever they come in."

... it doesn't leave you much choice. Because if you do that, they damn-sure won't be in any hurry to address your issue, and you won't have a place to live for God-knows how long.

When you live in your rig full-time, you need to be able to schedule your major maintenance issues... so that, even if you have to stay in a hotel a few days, it won't be for an indefinite amount of time that can break your bank.

Exactly the reason to get approved by the factory for a mobile mechanic. One doesn't have to be full timing to be on the road with a schedule to meet. One could simply be on vacation, however long that may be.

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #12

Oregon
Full time voids warranty

Take it to a different dealer and press on!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #13

Wisconsin
There is no "truth in advertising" in the TT or RV industries. There are some high end manufactures and dealers who will be honest and fully disclose.

If the manufacture or dealer did disclose the difference between full time and recreational units before you signed, I would expect them to dance around it and deflect attention in order to make a sale. Camping World does not have the best reputation.

If the dealer refuses to make the repairs, read the manufactures warranty and the Good Sam warranty. You may be able to find something to pressure the dealer. Don't hesitate to obfuscate or withhold information. The dealer will do that to you. 7 days can not be considered full timing.

Lawyer's may be able to give you advice for a price, but getting one to take on a suit may be much more difficult than many people think.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote