Upgraded Tow Vehicle - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #1

South Carolina
Upgraded Tow Vehicle

Our 2008 Avalanche has been doing well towing our 5000 lb trailer. But, after only 2 years we have come to the conclusion the 2018 243BHSL is just lacking. Bathroom too small and seating not adequate. You learn eventually. ughh.

So we started by upgrading the tow vehicle to a new 2019 Ram Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi 4X4. Towing capacity 11,340 lbs. And we got such a deal

Now the hunt begins for a new trailer. Yippeeeeeeee. The bad news? Chances are that the new trailer may not be a Dutchman. Did I learn my lesson? Will you all miss me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM for web 2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	6010  

Old 11-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Quality Travel Trailer Brands

I recommend iRV2.com for RV's, TT's, truck campers.

Quality Travel Trailer Brands
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f31/buying-a-travel-trailer-7369.html

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

Massachusetts
I upgraded my tow vehicle last June to a Chevy Duramax diesel
3 weeks later I jumped to a 2018 30 foot ….5er (keystone Cougar)
I am still here lol
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I am still here lol
iRV2.com would replace Dutchmen.org. iRV2 covers lots of TT brands.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
I am still here lol

Outstanding!

I cant justify a diesel for us. We will probably keep the new trailer to 30 feet or so.

Have fun!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Outstanding!

I cant justify a diesel for us. We will probably keep the new trailer to 30 feet or so.

Have fun!
the price they worked out was impossible to turn down the diesel
Old 11-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
the price they worked out was impossible to turn down the diesel

Gotta Love a Good Deal
Old 11-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Illinois
Sold my Voltage over two years ago, but still read this forum daily. Lots of smart people on line here and I learn something almost daily. Most RV information crosses over all makes and models. Keep reading and posting!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Florida
Yep! We'll miss you and your input. Just because you change (maybe not a dutchmen) you can still visit. LOTS of way smart folks here that know about RVing and the RV life.

Frank
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #10

California
@Armyvet, I would suggest you target a trailer that when fully loaded is still a couple thousand pounds below your max weight. Everything is easier that way. It also allows you plenty of cargo capacity too. And lastly remember that trailer manufacturers notoriously under weight their trailers. Batteries, propane and many other things are often not included in their dry weight.

I know you are an experienced RVer and likely know this but just thought I would throw that out there anyway.

Enjoy the new truck! We have a 2017 Ram (diesel unlike yours but still a Ram and very similar) and have really enjoyed it. The only real issue we had was with the tranny that took a few dealer visits to solve but was fixed under warranty. 3 or 4 recalls to deal with but otherwise very dependable. There is a Cummins forum that has lots of good information for non diesels too and as long as you can tolerate quite a few jerks and know it alls you will learn quite a bit over there too.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Sold my Voltage over two years ago, but still read this forum daily. Lots of smart people on line here and I learn something almost daily. Most RV information crosses over all makes and models. Keep reading and posting!
Rusty

Thanks, your right of course!

Staying here
Old 11-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Yep! We'll miss you and your input. Just because you change (maybe not a dutchmen) you can still visit. LOTS of way smart folks here that know about RVing and the RV life.

Frank

Thanks! Right again!

Roger, Wilco
Old 11-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
@Armyvet, I would suggest you target a trailer that when fully loaded is still a couple thousand pounds below your max weight. Everything is easier that way. It also allows you plenty of cargo capacity too. And lastly remember that trailer manufacturers notoriously under weight their trailers. Batteries, propane and many other things are often not included in their dry weight.

I know you are an experienced RVer and likely know this but just thought I would throw that out there anyway.

Enjoy the new truck! We have a 2017 Ram (diesel unlike yours but still a Ram and very similar) and have really enjoyed it. The only real issue we had was with the tranny that took a few dealer visits to solve but was fixed under warranty. 3 or 4 recalls to deal with but otherwise very dependable. There is a Cummins forum that has lots of good information for non diesels too and as long as you can tolerate quite a few jerks and know it alls you will learn quite a bit over there too.

Thanks, I hear you. Maxing out anything is a always not the best choice. But its there if you need it.

Our Avalanche was rated for only 7000 lbs. So we kept the trailer to 5000 lbs. I never towed it with water. Clean, gray or black. Took it to a scale loaded for camping. Surprised me. Trailer was exactly 5000 and the hitch 750. So this time Dutchman did not lie This time hahaa.

I don't know how experienced an RVer I am at 2 years but thanks. I am like everyone else. Wrong sometimes, but never in doubt LMFAO

Is your 2017 an 8 speed??

Have fun!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Thanks, I hear you. Maxing out anything is a always not the best choice. But its there if you need it.

Our Avalanche was rated for only 7000 lbs. So we kept the trailer to 5000 lbs. I never towed it with water. Clean, gray or black. Took it to a scale loaded for camping. Surprised me. Trailer was exactly 5000 and the hitch 750. So this time Dutchman did not lie This time hahaa.

I don't know how experienced an RVer I am at 2 years but thanks. I am like everyone else. Wrong sometimes, but never in doubt LMFAO

Is your 2017 an 8 speed??

Have fun!

Actually, my 2017 is the 6 speed 68RFE. The cheaper of the two transmissions they offer for the Cummins diesel. I assume the Hemi option is different as well. They generally don’t offer up much more towing capacity than you need.

Enjoy your new setup once you get it figured out.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #15

South Carolina
Thanks again.

Ours is an 8 speed. I am actually really liking the new truck. The interior is very nice! The Hemi is quick, And most important! The 'war department" is happy

Have fun all!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #16

Illinois
Our previous trip with my Platinum F150 was a bit nerve wracking as I had the wrong bars for the Blue Ox. While they distributed the weight perfectly, I could not get enough tension for sway control, on the way home, replaced the 1500 pound bars with 1000 pound bars. Problem solved, towed great. However, in my troubleshooting process, discovered the GVW hit the GVWR of the truck. Kids gained a bit of weight since last year.

Since I am selling the trailer to get a larger one next year, we too decided to replace the tow vehicle, except I didn't get rid of my Platinum, it's my DD. Instead bought a nice used King Ranch F350 6.7 Diesel. We took our last trip with it and it was like there was no trailer back there. What a huge difference between the 1/2 ton and the 1 ton!

Since we were in the need for a spare vehicle since we live in the country, and public transportation is non existent and driving a 1 ton 2 1/2 hours every day would be wearing, we now have a dedicated tow spare truck.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

Arizona
6 speed manual dodge diesel, but my question is " do bathrooms come roomier?" our shower is small, a friend of ours shower is small( 5th wheel ) another friend selling theirs in CT looks small in pictures etc,, had a buddy with a 40 foot tow hauler and I had to stand sideways to shower in a tub base, and dry off half way out of the thing..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #18

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Our previous trip with my Platinum F150 was a bit nerve wracking as I had the wrong bars for the Blue Ox. While they distributed the weight perfectly, I could not get enough tension for sway control, on the way home, replaced the 1500 pound bars with 1000 pound bars. Problem solved, towed great. However, in my troubleshooting process, discovered the GVW hit the GVWR of the truck. Kids gained a bit of weight since last year.

Since I am selling the trailer to get a larger one next year, we too decided to replace the tow vehicle, except I didn't get rid of my Platinum, it's my DD. Instead bought a nice used King Ranch F350 6.7 Diesel. We took our last trip with it and it was like there was no trailer back there. What a huge difference between the 1/2 ton and the 1 ton!

Since we were in the need for a spare vehicle since we live in the country, and public transportation is non existent and driving a 1 ton 2 1/2 hours every day would be wearing, we now have a dedicated tow spare truck.

The King Ranch is a nice truck. We almost bought one. But the Ram deal was too good
Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2481 View Post
6 speed manual dodge diesel, but my question is " do bathrooms come roomier?" our shower is small, a friend of ours shower is small( 5th wheel ) another friend selling theirs in CT looks small in pictures etc,, had a buddy with a 40 foot tow hauler and I had to stand sideways to shower in a tub base, and dry off half way out of the thing..

The 'war department" has been doing all the research for upgrading the trailer so far. And the bathrooms on even under 30 foot trailers are much better than out 24 footer. So its a matter of degrees.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #20

Massachusetts
I had a Dutchman 202 rbs and shower was big enough
now I have a cougar 30 foot 5er and shower is nice
even has a seat to sit down …
I am 6'4 280 by the way …..and I have plenty of room top shower comfortably