Ultimate 240bhsl ac model? Generator kicks out when ac startup - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #1

Manitoba
Ultimate 240bhsl ac model? Generator kicks out when ac startup

I bought a new kodiak ultimate and my family ate first time campers. We recently bought a generator for non serviced park camping in northern canada. I bought a 3000 watt briggs and straton reading it should be large enough to run my 13500 btu dometic ac unit. It does not and kicks out on overload upon startup. I can read it says dometic duo therm on it but cannot find any other info on it. I am looking to see if it has a hard start capacitor as my research has led me to believe that this may stop my generator from kicking out. any info or experiance with the hard start capacitor would be greatly appreciated as well if you can lead me to the exact model of ac unit. Thanks muchly in advance

moosey069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey069 View Post
I bought a new kodiak ultimate and my family ate first time campers. We recently bought a generator for non serviced park camping in northern canada. I bought a 3000 watt briggs and straton reading it should be large enough to run my 13500 btu dometic ac unit. It does not and kicks out on overload upon startup. I can read it says dometic duo therm on it but cannot find any other info on it. I am looking to see if it has a hard start capacitor as my research has led me to believe that this may stop my generator from kicking out. any info or experiance with the hard start capacitor would be greatly appreciated as well if you can lead me to the exact model of ac unit. Thanks muchly in advance

Your A/C unit comes as it does from the factory. The hard start capacitor may very well solve your problem but you will have to have it installed or do it yourself. They are pretty much universal and the Supco Spp6 will do the job.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Manitoba
thank you very much I have ordered one and will update on here after the install. thanks again
Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Manitoba
Well a successful update. I installed the supco spp6 on my dometic 13500 btu brisk air 2 which did not previously have a hard start capacitor and now my generator runs my ac just fine which I am super pleased about because it was a 30min install tops and only cost 20 bucks. My understanding is that If your ac unit had one built in it will not help you but mine did not and made a world of difference. hope this helps and happy camping
Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

Florida
Hard start kit

Have been electrician for 50 years. Rule of thumb is any motor or compressor is 2 and 1/2 times running current to get it started. 10 amps running would require 25 amps to start. Glad the hard start kit worked for you. Have installed 30 KW units on houses that still required the hard start kit.
GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator ac capacitor