TV Antenna Not Working - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

TV Antenna Not Working

TV works fine from all jacks if I run the cable out of the house to our Aerolite 232ES. If I try to run off the antenna, I get nothing. We are maybe 70 miles from the Philly area, with Channel 69 in Allentown a scant 15 miles from here.

The converter that I bought to run our old analog TV's off the digital antenna idicates "no signal." Setup screens run, all switches and cables are correct, but no RF coming in.

The antenna is the stock model, NOT the amplified version, at least I don't see a power switch for it near the TV jacks. Or, is there a switch somewhere that I am missing, one that changes reception over from Cable to antenna? Or is there a coupler buried within the walls somewhere that could be disconnectd? Up on the roof, everything looks OK, but there's enough sealant to hide most of the wiring.

As an aside, the FM reception doesn't exactly light up the universe, either, unless you are close to a town with a radio station. Are these supposed to run off the TV antenna? I haven't pulled either radio to check connections.

Camping this weekend about 50 miles north of Philadelphia, that should be a good final check of the antenna. Until then any ideas?
Thanks...

redfun n jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Washington
On our TT, we have to take the wall cable from the outlet where we input cable tv and switch it to the one above for the antenna.....and there is a very small push on push off dot switch that turns on the amplified antenna.....we then also have to go to the inputs menu on the tv and switch from "cable" to "antenna".
You sound very knowledgable, so you may have done all of this....but sometimes it's a detail or two missed that counts!

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #3

Thank you...my husband wrote about the problem, so I will have to pass this info along to him. We never thought that we would want a tv while we are camping let along have a TT. We have only had it for a short time and we figure this will be our last time out for the year. There is a big college football game this weekend and we where hoping we would be able to watch it. But if we can't it is no big deal. Thanks again.

Deb
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

We don't have the amplified version, so there's only one cable hookup at each end of the TT. No switch. Have a cable input on the outside wall, and when I run the house cable in there all works fine inside, so the wiring must be OK.
Something else to play with if we get that "perfect storm" that is predicted for the Northeast this weekend. Have to listen to Penn State-Ohio State and the "Iggles" on the radio, I suppose.
Thanks for the reply.
Jim
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #5

Well, I owe everyone an apology. My wife found a switch by the back bunk, asked me what it was. Whoops, turns out we DO have the amplified TV setup, and when I turned it on, presto, TV works just fine.
See, it's handy to have a handy wife around. Too bad we didn't get to do our weekend trip, have a little hurricane to deal with instead.

Hope everyone had a safe and fun weekend!
Jim
Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Hee - we just went through that while installing a space heater. Little issue of needing to change from the factory setting of propane over to natural gas to get the pilot to light. I swear between DH & I that it takes the two of us make one complete person.

Hope you made it through the hurricane. Our weather event this year was the derecho, so I am glad this storm just brought us snow.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #7

In our Dutchmen Lite the amplifier push button is behind the DVD player unaccessible behind the cabinet. I had to cut a small opening inside the cabinet to access it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #8

Glad you found the switch, so much for Amish workmanship. Our Aerolite was built in Mexico...
First a hurricane, now 3-6 inches of snow coming today. I have the water drained but no antifreeze pumped in. Gotta move quickly. I want to replace all the drain plugs with valves so I don't have to crawl around with wrenches to drain the system.
The good news is that the snow blower and generator are ready for action!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #9

wow you tow that 2012 289 rk with a ford f150?
we have 3/4 with air bags and a chip , and pushing load ratings

strodguy is offline   Reply With Quote