Turning off propane sensor - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Washington
Turning off propane sensor

I want to put my Adirondack TT in storage, but don't know how to stop alarm from going off on propane senor. It is a Safe Alert and must be hooked to battery or electrical or it will sound alarm. What do you do to turn it off ? Thanks

gmacarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Montana
If it is powered by the camper's 12V system, then it should not have the power to alarm once the 12V battery is disconnected from the camper. This is how mine works. For storage, you should definitely be disconnecting the battery.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Florida
Does the propane sensor have a backup battery.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

Washington
Thanks so much! since my husband died I have had to learn more than I thought possible That helps me a lot.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Washington
Thank you for the reply. I have two batteries located by my hitch, so I don't think I have a dedicated battery. Sorry to sound dumb, just having to learn the system without instruction.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

Montana
two batteries on the hitch is fairly common. It is either 2x12V batteries in parallel or 2x6V batteries in series. If the camper is the same as when purchased new, then it is likely 2x12V batteries in parallel. IF there is not a battery disconnect switch or dial, then you'll want to physically remove the wire connection from the positive battery post of both batteries. IF there is a switch or dial, then use that to disconnect.
If the propane sensor has its own backup battery, then I'm not sure how one disables that. But mine will be completely shut off once disconnected from a 12V power supply. My father's however will alarm even when the main camper battery is removed because of how his solar panel is wired to the system. The solar panel can provide enough power to the detector to run it, and also trick it into thinking there is low battery and therefore alarming when solar input is low but not off.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #7

Washington
Thank you so much! I removed the white wire (negative) and it worked.