Trouble closing door - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 05:21 AM   #1

Texas
Trouble closing door

I have a 2019 Aerolite Fifth Wheel that has been parked in one spot for about a year and a half. Over that time the door has slowly gotten harder and harder to close until today I had to take the strike plate off to get it closed and the lock still won't fully lock. There is a small gap with visible light on the bottom, hinge side of the door, so things are definitely not squared up. This rig came with an autoleveler, so today, I tried lowering it until it was resting on just the wheels to see if that helped. It didn't. The I let it auto level, and still nothing improved.
Any tips?

JReck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #2

Texas
So after further inspection it appears the bottom friction hinge has cracked in two places and needs replacement. Also seems this is a common failure point. I will report back after installing the replacement.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #3

Florida
Send a pic of your issue for the benefit of others here.

Thanks and thanks for the update.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:09 PM   #4

California
Good to know, thanks.
2012 RAM 3500 6.7l DSL 4x4 DRW 4:10 gears Max Tow. Stockish w/tuned transmission.
1999 Dodge 2500 5.9l DSL 4x4 8" Fabricated 5 link 12" long travel coil over conversion.
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:03 AM   #5

Texas
After further further looking, the hinge wasn't actually cracked. It's just designed with spaces that kind of look like cracks in the dark with a flashlight. So I did not replace it. Not really sure how I would have done it with all the rivets anyways. So, door is still not closing right. Seems likely the frame is possibly torqued due to the lot I'm parked on and there's really nothing I can do about that. I may try some more adjusting of the levelers, or perhaps a 2x4 and a hammer and beating on the door as a last resort.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReck View Post
After further further looking, the hinge wasn't actually cracked. It's just designed with spaces that kind of look like cracks in the dark with a flashlight. So I did not replace it. Not really sure how I would have done it with all the rivets anyways. So, door is still not closing right. Seems likely the frame is possibly torqued due to the lot I'm parked on and there's really nothing I can do about that. I may try some more adjusting of the levelers, or perhaps a 2x4 and a hammer and beating on the door as a last resort.
Not sure I would go that last route. Suspect that the rv is off kilter so much that it’s sprung a bit. Try leveling it up a bit then check it again.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #7

Indiana
Doug Holser

I had the same problem on a Kodiak door hinge. Door became harder to close every season. My solution was simple. After applying WD-40 to the hinges and working it in. it now closes very easily and still retained the friction to hold it open.
Hope this helps.
sdh305@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #8

Arizona
If it were me I would check to see if the tires and/or the stabilizer jacks hadn't sunk into the ground some causing the door frame to warp. Just a guess.
Canyon
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:04 AM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh305@gmail.com View Post
I had the same problem on a Kodiak door hinge. Door became harder to close every season. My solution was simple. After applying WD-40 to the hinges and working it in. it now closes very easily and still retained the friction to hold it open.
Hope this helps.
WD-40 is usually the answer, but in this case the door is physically hitting the door frame which is causing the difficulty. Can't lube that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Not sure I would go that last route. Suspect that the rv is off kilter so much that it’s sprung a bit. Try leveling it up a bit then check it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
If it were me I would check to see if the tires and/or the stabilizer jacks hadn't sunk into the ground some causing the door frame to warp. Just a guess.
Canyon
Like I said, it has the 4 point Ground Control autoleveler. I've taken it completely off the stands and let it rest on just the wheels for a full 24 hours. Then let it re-level itself. Nothing helped. So yes, I'm guessing it got torqued somehow, short of making it un-level I'm not sure how to correct it. I'd even be okay with making it a little off level but I don't know which way to go. I guess I could have a second person come mess with the controls while I watch the door and see what happens.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh305@gmail.com View Post
Hope this helps.
I return with my head hung low in shame. I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it, but you were absolutely right. I lubed the hinges and suddenly it closes correctly. In fact it closes so nicely I have to be careful not to slam it. I don't really understand WHY that worked, but the hinge is a mysterious and powerful object, far too complex for a mortal like myself. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you sooner.