Travel Trailer Battery Theft - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

Indiana
Travel Trailer Battery Theft

I went to the storage yard where we keep our Coleman trailer on Wednesday to take some shower dimensions.I went back today, Sunday, and noticed the strap for the battery box laying loose in front of the trailer tongue. Someone had taken the strap off in hope of stealing our battery. The battery is at home, so no theft.

I am looking for solutions to prevent battery theft and am curious what others have done. I found the Battery Schakle on Amazon, but before ordering thought it would be worth seeking other’s input.

Battery Schakle: https://www.amazon.com/Batteryshackl...2505786&sr=8-2

Thank you,

Lee

Ljramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #2

Florida
Our last rv I would wrap a thick chain over the battery box through the frame with big visable lock also did same for front mounted propane bottles.never had issues most people see big lock and chain they move on. good luck all our best fla

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:59 AM   #3

California
This is what I use found it on google search, do not remember,

they are $35.00 each, not including padlocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6177  

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

Indiana
I purchase the battery schaklle and am happy with the purchase. No concerns of battery theft now.
Ljramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

Arizona
If somebody wants your stuff bad enuf, you can not prevent the theft.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #6

Oklahoma
80 Dollars invested is better than paying 200 or 300 for a new set of batteries.
Technoguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
If somebody wants your stuff bad enuf, you can not prevent the theft.
That is a correct statement. The trick is to not make yours the easiest to get-thieves are lazy!
KatChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:00 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljramsey View Post
I went to the storage yard where we keep our Coleman trailer on Wednesday to take some shower dimensions.I went back today, Sunday, and noticed the strap for the battery box laying loose in front of the trailer tongue. Someone had taken the strap off in hope of stealing our battery. The battery is at home, so no theft.

I am looking for solutions to prevent battery theft and am curious what others have done. I found the Battery Schakle on Amazon, but before ordering thought it would be worth seeking other’s input.

Battery Schakle: https://www.amazon.com/Batteryshackl...2505786&sr=8-2

Thank you,

Lee
I used 1/4” chain and padlocks. Instead of wrapping the chain around the batteries and battery support I welded a piece of chain on each side of the battery in the middle. Insert your padlock and it is secure. If you wrap the chain all one has to do is slide the chain off, my way you cannot slide it off or move the batteries from under them!
Regardless as others say if they want them bad enough they will get them! My hope is to slow them down enough so I can catch them or someone else see them! I hate a thief!
Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #9

Oklahoma
What's so hard about removing the battery? Needs to be put on a tender anyway and the terminals and posts probably need to be cleaned.
Removing the temptation is easier than locks, welded chains, guard dogs and wondering for months if the thing will still be there.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

Oregon
Battery theft is not just from RV’s in storage! If you stay in RV parks your chance of losing your batteries and propane tanks are minimal. However some of us choose to camp off grid, hunting and fishing. Or just wanting to be “away from it all”. In these cases there are those who see this as a chance to make a dollar or two off your property. Besides, batteries come up missing when parked at your home. We camp regularly and wrestling 6v golf cart batteries is a pain.
Case is you shouldn’t have to remove them, but that’s the world we live in!
Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Illinois
No cameras at the storage place? If I had mine there and saw that, first thing would be a stop at the office to review footage and gate access. Then again, that's just what I would expect of a secured storage facility.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #12

Colorado
secure battery boxes for Lithium

We do a lot of Lithium conversions and our first priority is reducing the risk of battery theft. Losing a 70# $300 AGM is painful (especially for the thief!), but worse to lose a 30# $1000 Lithium. When we look at a conversion, here are our preferred methods of security
1) Mount the batteries inside the coach. Best security and good temperature control. Lithium has no fumes or acid, so no problem being under the bed. If you do this, make sure you use LiFePO4 technology, because it is safe from overheating and meltdown. Some other Lithium technologies are not.
2) If under the coach, we create locking brackets, often by welding or bolting on angle aluminum. We have even welded the brackets shut, since Lithium needs no maintenance for 10 years or more.
3) If on the tongue, we buy or build a secure aluminum box. E-trailer has them. We sometimes fabricate out of aluminum to meet custom sizes and shapes.
4) If in the front compartment or basement of a 5er, we add standard locking clasp latches to the doors. It is still easy to pry a door open with a pry bar, and in one case we reinforced the door and hinges. But clasp locks are a good visible deterrent.
5) If all else doesn't work, we use hardened security cable through the battery tie downs molded into the battery. This is also mostly just a visible deterrent, since plastic molded battery cases are easily cut.

Hope this is helpful.

Leisure-Lee
www.leisuresolar.com

leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote