Transporting propane - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #1

Colorado
Transporting propane

I have a propane camp grill I take with me and have typically just tied down a 15lb tank in the bed of my truck. Recently got a bed cover (roll up tonneau style soft cover). Man...black truck with black cover in a tight space and it was freakin hot in there.

Would you: store propane tank in camper instead or put it in bed of truck k owing it gets super hot and prob less airflow?

Thx.

barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

Tennessee
They have a built in expansion space, so if they are filled properly you'll be fine. In rare cases they may build enough pressure to vent out of the pressure relief valve, a built in safety measure.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

Wisconsin
For safty sake...

Propane tanks are designed to vent under certain conditions. This is good because the tank itself then does not explode. This is bad because the vented propane must be dissipated before it encounters a spark.

A cover on the back of a pickup must be vented if you store a portable propane tank in it. If there is no air passing through, and the tank vents you just created a bomb ready to explode. Terrorists use this property to create car bombs.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Tennessee
Old 07-17-2019, 02:28 AM   #5

Colorado
Thanks...on the road now and decided to fit it in my “garage” under the bunks in the camper. Much more space/air and we roll with the vents open (maxair covers).

I do have the Jerry Can in the truck bed...but it’s pretty sturdy and I just keep a little Velcro undone to get some air in there...also pop the tailgate at all stops to ventilate.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Unless you have a tight seal on the truck tailgate you probably are okay. Remember propane is heavier than air so it settles. Need a low vent for it to leave an area. I have seen a few boats blow up due to LP settling in the bilges and someone not clearing it prior to starting the motor.

Portable LP tanks are not supposed to be stored in an area where the temperature can exceed 120 degrees

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieb24 View Post
Thanks...on the road now and decided to fit it in my “garage” under the bunks in the camper. Much more space/air and we roll with the vents open (maxair covers).

I do have the Jerry Can in the truck bed...but it’s pretty sturdy and I just keep a little Velcro undone to get some air in there...also pop the tailgate at all stops to ventilate.
Choosing between the bed of the truck and under the bed inside the unit is a no brainer. I would never put a propane cylinder inside my unit. You can't even take them into stores, you have to leave them outside. When I go to Burning Man I have 10-15 gallons of gas in the truck bed and have never worried. Would put spare propane cylinder there as well if I needed one.
RichH
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #8

Colorado
Thanks all...I should note I take the propane out of the bunk area when not in transit.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #9

California
Propane exploded

I think while driving I would rather have the propane explosion in the trailer than in the truck, so I would store it there
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieb24 View Post
Thanks all...I should note I take the propane out of the bunk area when not in transit.
I wasn't implying you didn't take them out. Sorry if it came across that way. I also have a black tonneau cover, and for a few years had a black truck as well and never worried about the gas cans. Propane cylinders are much safer due to relief valves and those pesky safety regulations some hate. I would, and do, use ratchet binders to secure my gas cans and suggest the same for propane cylinders. Have a great trip!
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote