Trailer tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

North Carolina
Trailer tires

I plan on keeping my Travel Trailer on my concrete driveway over the winter months. Is it a good idea to move the camper maybe once a month to prevent any possible flat spots on tires?

bbmfkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Florida
Rolling your tires is never a bad idea. However, I have my doubts that moving your camper just a few inches really does much good. If you are going to go through the trouble to hook up to move it, I personally believe it would be better to go ahead and tow it around for a few miles to warm up the tires then put it back on spot.
Just my opinion.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Arizona
Jack it up off the ground for extended storage. Increase the air pressure 25% above the pressure stamped on the tires.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

Florida
Tires

How old are the tires? I keep my TT in a storage unit outside in Florida. I have never seen anyone jack their TT up to get it off the tires. It seems like a "PIA" I would not do it to mine, but we camp every month for at least 2-5 nights a month. The tires are only good for 5-7 years. I just keep a eye on them looking for any problems. I always check the air before we leave and never overload my trailer. I also never go over 65 MPH as TT tires are not rated to go over 65.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
How old are the tires? I keep my TT in a storage unit outside in Florida. I have never seen anyone jack their TT up to get it off the tires. It seems like a "PIA" I would not do it to mine, but we camp every month for at least 2-5 nights a month. The tires are only good for 5-7 years. I just keep a eye on them looking for any problems. I always check the air before we leave and never overload my trailer. I also never go over 65 MPH as TT tires are not rated to go over 65.
Actually, some of the newer ST tires are rated at 81mph+. I have a set of Carlisle's that is rated for that speed. I never intend to go that fast and look at the increased speed rating as a safety factor.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Florida
high speed tires

How much more did they cost than the cheaper 65MPH ones? I bought the cheap Hercules ST for mine. They cost like $75.00 each. It would be nice to go 75MPH safely when traveling. I still have to lube one side with the EZ lube. I still think jacking the trailer up off the tires to be a pain. Not for me I do to much work on it already!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
How much more did they cost than the cheaper 65MPH ones? I bought the cheap Hercules ST for mine. They cost like $75.00 each. It would be nice to go 75MPH safely when traveling. I still have to lube one side with the EZ lube. I still think jacking the trailer up off the tires to be a pain. Not for me I do to much work on it already!
I bought the Carlisles at WallyWorld for, you won't believe it, $47 each on a close out. Load range D. They were 8 months from manufacture date which is older than I would have paid full pop for but still a great deal. I was going from 14" tires to 15" and needed to buy rims as well. Found some nice chrome steel wheels on ebay, $200 for 4 rims. One had a cosmetic flaw and they sent me a 5th rim free so I had a spare as well. Altogether I have about $500 in 5 tires, rims, valve stems mounting and balancing. About what I would have paid for 4 14" tire from the local tire store.
Did a 2500 mile road trip this August and was completely satisfied at how the tires performed. Have about 4000 miles on them now and couldn't be happier, or feel safer. We'll see how they wear over the next 4-5 years. I only put 2x8's under the tires when the trailer is stored. I also use 303 and tires covers in storage. I am not going to take the tires off the ground either.
RichH
Old 11-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #8

Florida
Tires

WOW!! What a great deal Iam very happy for you! Its nice to get a good deal once in a while. Did you keep the ez lube axles on when you re did your rig? You should post a few pictures of the new rims and tires.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
WOW!! What a great deal Iam very happy for you! Its nice to get a good deal once in a while. Did you keep the ez lube axles on when you re did your rig? You should post a few pictures of the new rims and tires.
I was/am ecstatic! I don't have the EZ lubes so it was not an issue. Maybe next time I am near storage I will take some pics. Hope you find what you need.
RichH
Old 11-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #10

Colorado
Does anyone have any experience with these tires from etrailer?
Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G Taskmaster Tires and Wheels TTWPRG235R16
They seem comparable to the Sailuns but with deeper tread and slightly lower cost, free shipping and no sales tax.
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these tires from etrailer?
Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G Taskmaster Tires and Wheels TTWPRG235R16
They seem comparable to the Sailuns but with deeper tread and slightly lower cost, free shipping and no sales tax.
Etrailer stands behind their products and the reviews are excellent. Keep them properly inflated, don't hit curbs or other obstructions and keep 303 on them and you will probably be happy. And with some change in your pocket.
RichH
Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #12

Florida
Tires

Those tires are real nice! You can go 81MPH! Wish I could go that fast. I got cheap made in China Hercules ST. I can only go 65MPH. Good luck with your new tires.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Those tires are real nice! You can go 81MPH! Wish I could go that fast. I got cheap made in China Hercules ST. I can only go 65MPH. Good luck with your new tires.
Thanks man. I don't really go 81mph, the tires are just rated that high. I generally do about 65mph because if I go much faster the MPG goes way down. Hope you are enjoying your trailer!
RichH