Too few HDMI inputs...solutions? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Idaho
Too few HDMI inputs...solutions?

The stock gallery TV has only 2 HDMI inputs. One has to be dedicated to the DirecTV input. That leaves me 1 to operate the BluRay player, the Chromecast device and the Apple TV. I know, "why do I need so many gadgets"? "...be quiet wife! I just do."

Anyway, looking for solutions. The other issue at play is the difficulty in accessing the HDMI inputs. You have to remove the top speaker to be able to lift off the TV...only then can you get to the HDMI ports. I'm wondering if there is maybe some type of switching device that would allow me to have all 3 additional HDMI's plugged in...and then just throw a switch to dictate which one is active at any given time. Does such a critter exist? If so, what is it called? And where might I find it (I can search if I know what I'm looking for).

OR...is there a better solution? And yes, I could split them among the other 3 TVs, but that is not what I'd prefer to do...I'll do that if that is my only solution.

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Ohio
I used this IOGEAR HDMI Kit IOGEAR - GW3DHDKIT - Wireless HD Digital Kit | Wireless Video Transmitter | Wireless HDMI | Wireless TV | Wireless 3D HDMI to hook DirecTV, BRay and Composite to HDMI converter for the built in unit and I can broadcast HDMI to the other TV's It acts like a switch for the main tv. The bonus is you can watch a different source on the remote TV.
-Jeff

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

Missouri
You could try something this. It would fix your problem and give you extra HDMI inputs that your wife would love!

Amazon.com: Fosmon HD1832 Intelligent 5x1 5-Port HDMI Switch/Switcher with IR Remote and AC Adapter Supports 3D: Electronics

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
I used this IOGEAR HDMI Kit IOGEAR - GW3DHDKIT - Wireless HD Digital Kit | Wireless Video Transmitter | Wireless HDMI | Wireless TV | Wireless 3D HDMI to hook DirecTV, BRay and Composite to HDMI converter for the built in unit and I can broadcast HDMI to the other TV's It acts like a switch for the main tv. The bonus is you can watch a different source on the remote TV.
-Jeff
Expensive, but would probably be worth it but for the 2 HDMI input limit. I may find another use for this down the road though, so thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
You could try something this. It would fix your problem and give you extra HDMI inputs that your wife would love!

Amazon.com: Fosmon HD1832 Intelligent 5x1 5-Port HDMI Switch/Switcher with IR Remote and AC Adapter Supports 3D: Electronics
While looking into this, I found another Fosmon 3 port unit that looks like it will do the same thing, minus the IR remote, which would just be something else to lose. So, I ordered the 3 port item and will see how it works. I'll report after I get it. Found it for just $5 including shipping, so price is great if it works.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
While looking into this, I found another Fosmon 3 port unit that looks like it will do the same thing, minus the IR remote, which would just be something else to lose. So, I ordered the 3 port item and will see how it works. I'll report after I get it. Found it for just $5 including shipping, so price is great if it works.
For 5 bucks definitely worth a try... Let us know how it works

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #7

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
Got the Fosman and it works perfect. It has its own HDMI cable (output) and 3 inputs along with a selection button. I have my Apple TV, my Chromecast and my DVD plugged into it, so that uses one of my HDMI ports on the TV. The second (and final) HDMI on my TV is to my DirecTV. All works perfect now, so $5 wasn't a bad deal. If others are interested, go to eBay and search for Fosmon HD1831. Range of prices, but you should be able to find one without trouble for under $10. So, between this and my Alfa wireless network system (another post), I have pretty much the same functionality I had at home before going full-time.